Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Overplaying Commercials Ruins A Lot Of Good Ads.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overplaying Commercials Ruins A Lot Of Good Ads.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overplaying Commercials Ruins A Lot Of Good Ads.
    Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 5:37am

There are a lot of good commercials that get ruined by overplaying them.  I laughed hard the first two times  at the Geico "Smartphone" commercial where the three men are playing Rock music on their Smartphones, and a female co-worker looks at them like they are idiots. after that, I didn't really laugh anymore, and i'vde seen this commercial like 50 times.

My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Sponsored Links

schrutebuck View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schrutebuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 5:41am
Done--that is the weekend!!
Yeah dog!!
Time to pop the bubbly!
Is a gentleman with a brostache invited to this party?
Only if he's ready to rock!

All of the above was transcribed entirely from memory. So yeah, they show this ad too much. I also have their little guitar tune in my head but I don't know how to translate it into text.

calzonesays View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calzonesays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 5:45am
and you can hear the nerdy guy playing the smartphone guitar kick his chair while hes jamming out
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 4:25pm
AT&T's Flash Mob commercial fits in this category ... every commercial break it seems like it comes on.  At first it was amusing, but it's definitely gotten overplayed.  The only time it makes me chuckle anymore is if I happen to be playing music when the commercial comes on .. more often than not the guy is dancing in perfect rhythm with whatever's playing.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 4:36pm
I don't mind Flo from Progressive as some people do, and I kinda liked the commercials at first...but at this point, I'm sick of this ad campaign. 

robodog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 4:55pm
I like the new Geico ad with the robots. I don't think they show that one enough. You put an animal, robot or monster of some kind in an ad and I generally automatically love it. I'm not a fan of the Geico Smartphone ad or Flo however. I'm well and truly sick of seeing them.
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I don't mind Flo from Progressive as some people do, and I kinda liked the commercials at first...but at this point, I'm sick of this ad campaign. 

Same here, though I'd rather them continue the Flo campaign than the creepy pedophile stalker looking guy they've been using (the one with the Flo bobblehead on his dashboard).
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by robodog robodog wrote:

I like the new Geico ad with the robots...
Big smileI agree - they finally got me with the juicebox scene - too great! All the same, there has to be some wisdom in how often a commercial is shown; from my perspective, some of the best get shown the least. I'd classify the Farmers' "Distracted Driving" in that line, or better yet, almost any of the John Jameson Irish Whiskey comercials.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 11:25pm
These ads are supposed to be "good?" ... Ermm

Wink

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

These ads are supposed to be "good?" ... Ermm

Wink

Well,  masochists seem to really enjoy them.... LOL
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schrutebuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 4:33am
I like Flo too. She's sexy in a dorky sort of way.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schrutebuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 4:46am
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

AT&T's Flash Mob commercial fits in this category ... every commercial break it seems like it comes on.  At first it was amusing, but it's definitely gotten overplayed.  The only time it makes me chuckle anymore is if I happen to be playing music when the commercial comes on .. more often than not the guy is dancing in perfect rhythm with whatever's playing.

Yeah, this commercial is always on, and the more I see it, the more stupid I realize it is:

First, there are way too many people in trenchcoats just hanging out right in the spot where they're supposed to break into dance considering it's still a half-hour before they're supposed to start.

Second, the text message reads "FLASH MOB MOVED TO 12:30" in giant text that takes up the whole screen. Since when do text messages look like that?

Third, as he gets the text message, he sees a progress bar showing him downloading the message. Since when do text messages have a "downloading" progress bar?

Fourth, anyone who's ever been to Grand Central knows that there's no way a flash mob would be able to pull a dance like this off in the middle of the day, especially since it involves shuffling backwards a good yard or so. Did they overlook the fact that the station is packed with people walking in every which direction?

Lastly, the "problem" that this commercial is presenting is not a very realistic one. It's basically saying you won't risk having it arrive a few seconds late in case you're doing something that's super time-critical. Can anyone tell me a real-world scenario they experienced where a text message arrived a few seconds too late and it actually had some bearing on their lives as a result?
trishanurse View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trishanurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 9:45am
I can't say this enough...Flo has to go...when she comes on, I seriously look at my remote to find the button to change the station...or at least put on mute...  enough already
jerseygirl View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 2:31pm
There's a commercial out now for Hardees that I actually liked...it shows a robot attempting to eat a sandwich, but only succeeding at slamming the sandwich into it's head.  lol.  It's starting to become just another overplayed ad
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by schrutebuck schrutebuck wrote:

I like Flo too. She's sexy in a dorky sort of way.

I just threw up a little in my mouth. Maybe it's because I'm a woman but I find nothing sexy about that annoying, overly done up bobblehead. Forget the mute button; her commercials now get the change the channel treatment.
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by robodog robodog wrote:

I like the new Geico ad with the robots. I don't think they show that one enough. You put an animal, robot or monster of some kind in an ad and I generally automatically love it. I'm not a fan of the Geico Smartphone ad or Flo however. I'm well and truly sick of seeing them.

Ditto here! Wink
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 5:00am
A good ad is like water. Once in a while is delicious. All the time is torture.
Hundreds of threads killed.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 8:47pm
I liked the first couple of these. Really just this one and the woodchucks ones. The newer ones have gotten stupid.
robodog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by jerseygirl jerseygirl wrote:

There's a commercial out now for Hardees that I actually liked...it shows a robot attempting to eat a sandwich, but only succeeding at slamming the sandwich into it's head.  lol.  It's starting to become just another overplayed ad

I like that one too. The only problem I have with it is that whoever made it obviously doesn't know robot lore as well as I do. Robots are an obsession of mine and despite what this ad implies there are stories where robots are able to consume food and convert it to fuel. Some robots CAN eat human food. But that's just me being nitpicky. It's still a cool ad with a neat robot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic