Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sonic commerical with ghost and guy with chains
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sonic commerical with ghost and guy with chains

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sonic commerical with ghost and guy with chains
    Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 11:27pm

I just don't get this ad.  It is not funny.  Why would the cop ask anyone if they paid for food when they are eating it in their car at a fast food chain?  Being a ghost does not = a thief, under most circumstances.  So, I don't see why the cop would draw that conclusion.  And the guy with the chains?  WTF is all I can say.  Why is he out there, signing with chains?  It is just odd and random.  It doesn't help that I see this every freaking commercial break on multiple channels, yet the closest Sonic is like 50-100 miles away!
Welcome to Commercial Land. This is a magical place where all women look up while eating, and it is perfectly acceptable to slurp the hell out of a Dannon yogurt cup.
Sponsored Links

ironwolf56 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ironwolf56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 6:13am
50-100 miles for you?  Mine's several STATES away.  None of the Sonic commercials are funny they're just weird, oddly enough this is the least annoying of the bunch so far IMO.  Better than creepy vampire guy (who came on here and flamed people didn't he?) or the living chunk of cookies making out with the column-creature of vanilla soft serve...there are a few others, long story short they all epically suck.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 2:14pm
Because walking and pointing is epic.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 3:18pm
Of all the stupid Sonic ads out now, I think I hate this one the least.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by dp7 dp7 wrote:

I just don't get this ad.  It is not funny.  Why would the cop ask anyone if they paid for food when they are eating it in their car at a fast food chain?  Being a ghost does not = a thief, under most circumstances.  So, I don't see why the cop would draw that conclusion.  And the guy with the chains?  WTF is all I can say.  Why is he out there, signing with chains?  It is just odd and random.

I think they needed a reason for the cop to approach the ghost & question him.

They should've had her ask him if he'd been out of his car bothering people, rather than if he paid for the hot dog.

As for the rest of the premise of this ad....

One of the common characteristics of ghosts in ancient legend, is that they moan & rattle chains.

Kinda like witches riding on broomsticks, etc.

So, when the cop, after recieving complaints about a guy "moaning & rattling chains", saw what obviously was a ghost, sitting in a car eating a hot dog, which is absurd enough by itself, she automatically jumped to the conclusion that it was him, because moaning & rattling chains is what ghosts are known for.

THEN..... they take the absurdity a step further by showing a living, non-ghost guy, in the parking lot, moaning & rattling chains for no apparent reason other than that he's some kind of flake.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by ironwolf56 ironwolf56 wrote:

50-100 miles for you?  Mine's several STATES away.  None of the Sonic commercials are funny they're just weird, oddly enough this is the least annoying of the bunch so far IMO.  Better than creepy vampire guy (who came on here and flamed people didn't he?) or the living chunk of cookies making out with the column-creature of vanilla soft serve...there are a few others, long story short they all epically suck.

I liked the old, original ones.

With the people sitting in the car.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
robodog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 5:13pm
Yeah this is the least offensive of all the Sonic ads but it's still stupid. Since when do ghosts need to eat?
Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 9:21pm
Sonic needs to go back to their two old commercial series--one with the funny married couple and the other with the two guys, in their cars at Sonic. Those were hilarious.

These new ads are just stupid.  
Hundreds of threads killed.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by ThreadKiller ThreadKiller wrote:

Sonic needs to go back to their two old commercial series--one with the funny married couple and the other with the two guys, in their cars at Sonic. Those were hilarious.

These new ads are just stupid.  
Agreed.
Maybe I dreamed it, but I thought the 'two guys' were the actual owners of the Sonic chain....anyway, their ads were nothing short of classics.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
IronKnight View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 4:32am
I thought that this was hilarious. Which is saying something because I saw the vampire, werewolf, and the robot commercials and thought they were extremely stupid. 
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 2:16am
This ad isn't THAT bad, I actually burst out laughing the first time I saw it. But, the more I see it, the more I think, "Wow - that guy definitely drives a non-descript white van through rural neighborhoods with the words 'free candy' scrawled across the side". Looks pretty damn creepy. I gotta say though, that the old ads with the people doing their stupid dialogue sitting in their cars were worse.... I don't see how making your patrons look like idiots would make people want to go and buy your food and become a patron themselves......  Thumbs Down
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
kicket View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kicket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 2:39am
Again I say who is THAT stupid?
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 4:03am
I'm wondering if there's a specific reason the cop was black. It's an unfortunate truth that blacks are profiled by police, and there's a black police officer profiling a ghost. Hmmmmm.....pandering to the black demographic subtly?
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
hsolo1 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hsolo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 8:53pm
Another ponderable....ghosts are insubstantial, so how is this ghost not only able to steer his car and work the accelerator and brake pedals how is he also able to grasp or even bite his hotdog? 
Don't give it a second thought! If you didn't get it right the first time, what makes you think you will the second time.
WhatElseIsOn? View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatElseIsOn? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

I'm wondering if there's a specific reason the cop was black. It's an unfortunate truth that blacks are profiled by police, and there's a black police officer profiling a ghost. Hmmmmm.....pandering to the black demographic subtly?

Not sure if they're pandering to the black demographic, but I definitely recognized the "profiling" dynamic too, and the fact that the cop is black makes it all the more uncomfortable.  I was a little surprised they'd have someone accusing a black cop of profiling.  It almost has a "now the shoe is on the other foot" feel to it, and I wouldn't think that's a topic they'd even want to broach in a fast food commercial.
trishanurse View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trishanurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 8:00am
I actually thought this commercial was kinda funny until they did it 3 times every hour.  But what makes me sick is that nasty conglomeration of a hot dog thing the ghost is going to eat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic