Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Insurance - "Flo" campaign

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwazoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progressive Insurance - "Flo" campaign
    Posted: 17 May 2011 at 10:42pm
Stephanie Courtney, the actress who portrays Flo may be a wonderful actress, comedian, wife, and person; but the character she plays in this ad campaign is nauseating.  No one can be that perky, buoyant, and utterly joyous to the extent that she exhibits in interacting with the generally clueless customers she encounters (til she clues them in).  I want to shove a sock in her pie hole or maybe put her on downers.  Progressive should scrap this campaign and perhaps use a snake or a terrorist -- either of which would be an improvement as spokesperson/avatar.   I WILL NEVER CONSIDER PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE BECAUSE OF THIS CAMPAIGN!!!
Sponsored Links

kamburglar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kamburglar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 4:29am
OMG, I know. She is the most annoying thing on TV. I particularly hate this one when she "whisper screams" "unicorns and glitter... no?".

ambrosia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 12:48pm
I think I'm just immune to Flo now.  At first she made my skin crawl, but to me, she has now lost her relevance since we see her every 5 minutes.  The thing that makes me crazy in this commercial is the overly emphasized pregnancy of the other woman, rubbing her belly the whole time and saying "pickles and ice cream!" Unhappy
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 5:34pm
Nah, that new one where she has a "photo shoot" of the guy with her saying dumb stuff and that awful music...that gets to me.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 11:29pm
I've said it before, but people should remember the "negative virtues," the things Progessive commercials don't have (at least as far as I know, though I've missed a few) -
1. No songs that you like as songs but don't want to hear in a commercial.
2. No cameos by celebrities you might or might not dislike, but also don't need to see in a commercial.
(All right, they had one Elvis bit. But cockamamie Elvis jokes are practically some kind of RULE in entertainment.)
3. No pointless CGI.
4. No pointless BW sequences.
5. No gross-out humor (regardless of what some of you think of her looks and her personality, those two things don't count).
6. Almost no overwrought hip humor of any other kind either.
With all those things the ads DON'T do, Progressive / Flo / Stephanie should almost be at the other extreme around here.
A Blatant Pear View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Blatant Pear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 3:01am
I actually like these commercials (well maybe not like, but I don't dislike them). I think Flo is why this ad campaign is IMO decent.
Matchphoria View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matchphoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 11:16pm
I've worked in customer service before, and it is pretty much impossible to be that perky. Customers are, as a rule, stupid and annoying. They might be wonderful people outside the store, but as soon as they walk in they become absolute monsters (unless they also work in customer service).
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 11:38pm
I'd rather watch "perky" Flo, then "hairy" cavemen.
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 1:51pm
I'd rather watch "perky" Flo than about A THOUSAND other things on TV. I've given those things a pretty fair shake, so I should know.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Grant Grant wrote:

I'd rather watch "perky" Flo than about A THOUSAND other things on TV. I've given those things a pretty fair shake, so I should know.

Yeah? What did they feel like?Smile
wulfs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wulfs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 12:46pm
Customers are, as a rule, stupid and annoying.

Really? That would be only when your mom or dad walks in given that they gave birth to you. The rest that walk in pay for you to have a job, stupid and worthless as you are. The company that you work for know that and make YOU treat customers right, so YOU can have a job.

They might be wonderful people outside the store, but as soon as they walk in they become absolute monsters (unless they also work in customer service).

Only stupid people work in customer service, which is a little above janitorial jobs. Except you in customer service get to wear nicer cloths. If you had the education, you would be doing something else and not be dealing with 'monsters' and complaining.

FLO sux, like you do.
Ultron 5 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ultron 5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 1:48pm
Unicorns and glitter!

Makes my skin crawl every time.
I comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by wulfs wulfs wrote:

Customers are, as a rule, stupid and annoying.

Really? That would be only when your mom or dad walks in given that they gave birth to you. The rest that walk in pay for you to have a job, stupid and worthless as you are. The company that you work for know that and make YOU treat customers right, so YOU can have a job.

They might be wonderful people outside the store, but as soon as they walk in they become absolute monsters (unless they also work in customer service).

Only stupid people work in customer service, which is a little above janitorial jobs. Except you in customer service get to wear nicer cloths. If you had the education, you would be doing something else and not be dealing with 'monsters' and complaining.

FLO sux, like you do.

Great first and only post. I don't see you staying here long.
bonesquat View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonesquat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Ultron 5 Ultron 5 wrote:

Unicorns and glitter!

Makes my skin crawl every time.

Yep. that's the worst part. She's trying to appeal to 'outside the box 14 year olds'. The kind of kids who think saying random things like, "ponies and ice cream" is "epic". So stupid and childish.
wulfs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wulfs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 11:11am
>>Great first and only post.

Thank you!! Glad to hear it.

>>I don't see you staying here long.

And how do you predict that? Your crystal ball?
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matchphoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 2:48pm
You sound fun at parties
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by wulfs wulfs wrote:

>>Great first and only post.

Thank you!! Glad to hear it.

>>I don't see you staying here long.

And how do you predict that? Your crystal ball?

f**k you wulfs you self obsessed attention hog GO AWAY! Angry
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Katiechick31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiechick31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 3:00am
I find Flo more and more irrritating as they go on. I wish the charater would just go away already. I hit the mute button everytime she's on.
CyberFox View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Katiechick31 Katiechick31 wrote:

I find Flo more and more irrritating as they go on. I wish the charater would just go away already. I hit the mute button everytime she's on.
Look on the bright side, at least she's tollerable compared to Enzyte's Smilin' Bob *shiver*
^^
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 2:00pm
I'm pretty sick of this ad campaign.  I don't have a problem with Flo so much as I have a problem with these commercials in general.  They're just so damned boring---not funny or clever at all.  Flo's the only remarkable thing about them.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by ambrosia ambrosia wrote:

I think I'm just immune to Flo now.  At first she made my skin crawl, but to me, she has now lost her relevance since we see her every 5 minutes.

Pretty much the same with me.

I don't like her by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't cringe (anymore) when she comes on. To me she is just some innocuous background noise that blends in with all the other background noise.

I still cringe when these creepy-ass ads come on, though.

I keep my remote close by at all times just so I can mute the TV when these ads come on.

If I don't have the remote handy, as soon as the creepy little girl opens her mouth I put my fingers in my ears & start going "FALALALALALALALALALALALA" real loud just to drown her out until she shuts up.

I'm serious.

Flo has nothing on this little gal. Confused

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matchphoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 4:11pm
That little girl is incredibly creepy. Who thought it was a good idea to film her smiling like that?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Matchphoria Matchphoria wrote:

That little girl is incredibly creepy. Who thought it was a good idea to film her smiling like that?

Her parents probably think she's so adorable that no coaching was needed.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 3:41am
That's her father, the owner of the dealership, in the ad with her.

HIS father (her grandfather) was a local institution around here for years. He always made entertaining commercials. Always did goofy stuff with scene cuts & mannequins dressed like him falling out of cars suspended way up in the air on cranes in front of his dealership.

Had a cute little dog named "Buster" that he'd always incorporate somehow.

I think once, he did a series of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" themed ads with him & his little dog.

Pretty cool old guy, but it was HE who first started using the little girl in his ads a couple of years before he died.

Now his tubby, goofy-looking progeny owns the biz & does all the ads.

And still uses his creepy, oddball daughter in them.

Here's a caricature-Halloween mask of her that accompanied an article in a local weekly paper.

The article was entitled "Orlando's Scariest People".

BOB "DANCE OF THE DEAD"'S BEAUTIFUL GRANDDAUGHTER

Frankly, we don't know what's scarier. Is it the mass ridicule to which this painfully awkward, speech-impaired ballerina is subjected umpteen times per day, thanks to her grandpappy's televised fawning? Or is it the speed with which any rational viewer's blood runs cold every time she appears on the screen, spinning madly into oblivion and beckoning all to visit a nightmare realm "where everybody dies"? (Oh … sorry … that's "rides.") If you're still not convinced that the Beautiful Granddaughter is a figure of fear ripe for immortalization in the attic of Disney's Haunted Mansion, just imagine her when she's 70, clad in a rotting tutu and fast-forwarding through video evidence of her former ubiquity. "I'm still big," she'll whisper to herself as tree branches rustle against the windows of her dank private screening room. "It's the commercials that got small."

Pretty funny.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 3:52am
No links, but there was a local dealership here that did the same thing. Not onlythat but this guy had 3 of his daughters in it. Good lord, they sucked. Way worse that the one posted above and they had the same tagline of "everybody rides!". It must be a ar dealership prerequisite.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic