Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Products That You Miss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Products That You Miss
    Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 7:19pm
In the spirit of DarkFather's Things You Never See Anymore thread, I was wondering about the certain products that you used to love that are no longer with us. Here's Mooch list of products that she misses...

- Kellogg's Chocolate Frosted Flakes (WHY they took this off the market is beyond me!)
- Planters Cheese Balls (the ones that came in the canister)
- PB Crisps, also from Planters (these were peanut shaped cracker-type things with peanut butter inside them)
- Freakies cereal
- The original Bar None candy bar that came in the brown wrapper (NOT the inferior one in the yellow wrapper with caramel in it)
- Purplesaurus Rex Kool-Aid

What products do you guys miss?

Sponsored Links

Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 7:26pm
CHOCOBLISS.
Man, Bar None was good. I miss that. If I like something, they get rid of it.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 7:42pm
Life Savers used to come in many flavors.  Now, they seem to have been reduced to the most popular, the most typical.

I used to like the Choco-Mint ones.

I see they also had flavors such as licorice, violet, anise, blackberry and cola.  I think these were before my time, though.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 7:57pm
Quisp Cereal (ok and Quake but I liked the shape of Qusip better)

Kellogg's Danish Go Rounds

Does anyone remember "Skake-A-Pudding?"

Jello Pudding Pops (mentioned, I believe by Dark Father in another thread).

Big Buddy bubble gum

* fruit, milk and meat that tasted like fruit, milk and meat* (but I digress)
The artist formerly known as Madawee

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 8:00pm
I remember SHAKE-A-PUDDING. It was one of those "Here one day, gone the next" Products.

Watching my Sky King DVDs, they always start with a Commercial from Nabisco. Anybody seen a Package of CHIPEROONS Lately?

How about eating a bowl of SIR GRAPEFELLOW Cerial? LOL

When was the last time you saw Kids BEGGING their Mothers to let them pick out a Toy from the ARKIN A-OK Toy Rack in the Grocery Store? Cry

Poiuyt Power!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 8:14pm
I don't remember Shake-a-Pudding, but I remember Great Shakes milk shakes.  They came out when food companies really began marketing to the teen demographic.  Other groovy teen-oriented food products were Purple Passion soda and Screaming Yellow Zonkers,  

My guess is that this stuff was really just some thinner pudding mix.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 8:44pm
Bottle caps. The last time I asked about those the guy's response had something to do with a time machine and a retro candy aisle (and it had a very sarcastic tone, but thankfully I don't remember it exactly!)
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I don't remember Shake-a-Pudding, but I remember Great Shakes milk shakes.  They came out when food companies really began marketing to the teen demographic.  Other groovy teen-oriented food products were Purple Passion soda and Screaming Yellow Zonkers,  

My guess is that this stuff was really just some thinner pudding mix.

OMG Yes - I rememer these - we used to fight over who would get to use the cup (long after the shakes were gone) - we thought the "cup"  was cool. Brown bottom, tan cap. LOL

Another stroll down memory lane - Does anyone remember "Chicken Delight"  The commercial went like "Don't cook tonight call Chicken Delihjt"  Man, that was some good fried chicken.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Another stroll down memory lane - Does anyone remember "Chicken Delight"  The commercial went like "Don't cook tonight call Chicken Delihjt"  Man, that was some good fried chicken.

Yep.  Never had it, but I remember the one near me was located in a little Rahway, NJ strip mall, right next to H.I.S. Jeans---for the now fit, the wow fit, go H.I.S., H.I.S.

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 9:55pm
Madawee, I remember Jell-O Pudding Pops, but do you remember their Gelatin Pops, as well? I used to love getting those at the supermarket during the summer.

Speaking of pops, anyone remember a product called Wyler's Fruit Slush? That was something my mother would buy for us back in the 80's and I loved it.

There was a restaurant here in NYC (don't know if it was anywhere else) called Bun 'N' Burger that made the BEST cheddar cheeseburgers. When we used to go to Kings Plaza for shopping, we would beg our mother to take us there. Their food was to die for but, alas, they went out of business in the late 80's.

Speaking of stores that went out of business, I miss the Warner Brothers store. We used to go there all the time and come out with bags of stuff, mainly clothes. Most of the clothes that I got there are now threadbare and ripped and sadly irreplaceable.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 10:41pm
These things.....

Apparently they still make them, but I can't find them in the grocery stores around here to save my life.

I like to bake up a box of them, a box of Totino's pizza rolls & a bunch of tater tots equal in number to the total of both. Then alternate.... one egg roll & tater tot, one pizza roll & tater tot, repeat until finished.

Yum.

Tongue 

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 10:48pm

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 10:58pm
Keebler's Penguin cookies.
DARK FATHER View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Yutolia Yutolia wrote:

Bottle caps. The last time I asked about those the guy's response had something to do with a time machine and a retro candy aisle (and it had a very sarcastic tone, but thankfully I don't remember it exactly!)
Those things are ALL OVER the place in South Carolina.  They come in movie candy size boxes and my kids love them.  If you call the Wonka Candy Company they will tell you who has them in your area.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 11:09pm
Funny Face drink mix
Kool Aid Sharkelberry Fin flavor mix
Nabisco Famous Cookie variety mix box (had the Kettle Cookies in it)
The roast beef specialty sandwich at Burger King in the early 1980s
The pizza burger at Burger King in the early 1980s
The taco burger at Burger King in the early 1980s
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 11:16pm
There used to be ice cream bars shaped like Christmas trees, stars, etc.  Haven't seen those in ages.
I REALLY miss the original formula 7-up.  The lemony-lime cat piss they sell now is pathetic....
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 11:52pm
OMG, I remember Cheese Tid-Bit crackers and Kool Aid's Sharkleberry Finn! I miss those, too.

I also miss...
- Nabisco's Giggles cookies (chocolate cream sandwich cookies that had funny faces on them)
- Kleenex Ka-Choos tissues for kids
- Nabisco Quackers crackers (cheese crackers in the shape of a duck; my brother used to eat those as if they were going out of style)
- Fat Frog and Bubble O'Bill ice cream pops from Good Humor
- Kellogg's Nut and Honey Crunch cereal

I agree with you, MrTim about the old 7-Up. The new on tastes too much like Sierra Mist, which tastes like swamp water. I don't even buy it anymore. Plus, is it just me or don't Twinkies taste different from the way they used to? They used to have a nice sponge cake texture and taste; nowadays it tastes fake and plastic-y.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:29am
And lest we forget probably the two greatest cereals that ever existed!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 5:38am
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 1:54pm
Mooch - speaking of stores, let's have a moment of silence for:

Korvettes

John Wannamaker's

Gimbles

B Altmans

Orbachs

A&S  (Abraham and Straus)

G Fox

and (wipes away tears streaming down face) Woolworth's.

Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 6:24pm
Also raise a glass to the memory of Lampston's,  TSS, Trader Horn, Consumers and Mays. These stores used to be staples in my young life. I remember my sisters and I looking forward to the Consumers' Holiday Magic Christmas catalogue every November to look at all the toys we would ask for. I got many a Barbie doll from that store (thanks Momma Mooch Wink).

I also miss

- The old McDonald's Chicken McNuggets (the ones with dark and white meat )
- Calyppo and Ice Stripes ice pops from Good Humor
- The original Garbage Pail Kids cards that came with the hard, gum-cutting piece of gum
- The old Fisher-Price Little People...you know, the ones that looked like this

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 7:54pm
Mooch, my NY friend - let's no dismiss:

Schrafft's

Horn & Hardart

The Automat

Chock Full O' Nuts (the best donuts and date nut sandwiches!)

I also miss Marathon candy bars.
Z Cavarrici pants
Rush (not the rock and roll band... I'm sure some of you will know this product).

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

These things.....

Apparently they still make them, but I can't find them in the grocery stores around here to save my life.

I like to bake up a box of them, a box of Totino's pizza rolls & a bunch of tater tots equal in number to the total of both. Then alternate.... one egg roll & tater tot, one pizza roll & tater tot, repeat until finished.

Yum.

Tongue 

Bad news Jim. I called the La Choy comapny and found that these were discontinued back in 2007.  bummer, cause I like them too.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Chock Full O' Nuts (the best donuts and date nut sandwiches!)

That reminded me of one---Thomas's Date Nut Bread.  It was almost like a cake.  Excellent with cream cheese on it.  "Thomas's promises"

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 8:55pm
Fotomat and Fox Photo Kiosks at various Shopping Centers.

America's Most Wanted had an article about the CEO of Fotomat, he was involved in an Investment Scan, did they ever catch him?
Poiuyt Power!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic