Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

F'n American ($$$) Taliban!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: F'n American ($$$) Taliban!!!
    Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 8:04pm
So, we cross out the word RELIGON and replace it with DOLLARS.

We take a DEMONIC act - and with a flick of a wand, some pixie dust, and a few secret Republican magic words...the same act is now HEROIC,

And we do it in the U.S.A.

To a MUCH LARGER, MUCH MORE VALUABLE RESOURCE; to your children; to you, to our origins, to the future of the world.

All in the name of a dollar.

(but, please keep it QUIET! The PUBLIC MIGHT FIND OUT!!!!)

Those crazy little 'criminals' blew up the Bamyan Valley Buddahs.

Our very own 'RICH little criminals'.....I'm showing but ONE spot.

Take Action.

Actions make a difference, become history - be part of it... 
(for some weird reason, I'm hearing 'Watching T.V.' (Roger Waters) in my head, about now...)

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 9:07pm
Are you equating the purposeful and systematic destruction of the Buddhist art in Afghanistan by the Taliban with damage to American Indian art caused by dust kicked up by trucks travelling past it to a nearby drilling site? 

The issue of the Indian art is complicated by the fact that the region (according to Wikipedia) is a patchwork of public and private property.  Yet, the Bureau of Land Management is trying to work with the drilling company and the preservationists to resolve the issue (still, even if the trucks are rerouted, there is still plenty of damage created by visitors to the area AND by the erosion simply caused by time and weather).

Contrast this to the "decision" made in Afghanistan re the fate of the Buddhist art: Taliban tied ropes around some local Hazara men, lowered them down the cliff face, and forced them to place explosives into holes in the Buddhas.

Just not similar issues to me, Pa.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Are you equating the purposeful and systematic destruction of the Buddhist art in Afghanistan by the Taliban with damage to American Indian art caused by dust kicked up by trucks travelling past it to a nearby drilling site? 

The issue of the Indian art is complicated by the fact that the region (according to Wikipedia) is a patchwork of public and private property.  Yet, the Bureau of Land Management is trying to work with the drilling company and the preservationists to resolve the issue (still, even if the trucks are rerouted, there is still plenty of damage created by visitors to the area AND by the erosion simply caused by time and weather).

Contrast this to the "decision" made in Afghanistan re the fate of the Buddhist art: Taliban tied ropes around some local Hazara men, lowered them down the cliff face, and forced them to place explosives into holes in the Buddhas.

Just not similar issues to me, Pa.

That would be YOU, Thor.

No matter we tie 'em to ropes, or tie 'em to the need to feed, big business will go for the dollar first. And we will 'try and work' with big business. Maybe they can drill in Yellowstone, or go logging in Muir State Park - then what? 

The art has been around far longer than the statues were.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 3:36am

A publicly-owned natural gas company is not in the business of historical preservation.  That's the business of the historical preservationists who, likewise, are not in the business of drilling for natural gas.  These are two separate entities with two separate interests.  They're having a dispute over usage of a road going through the canyon, and the BLM will be the judge.  To me, it sounds like a microcosm of the "checks and balances" system that we have in the US.

However, it's not about good and bad.  It's about land, money, and politics.

Keep in mind, this is a public road that the trucks are using.  And the trucks are using it to reach private property that they have the right to drill.  A simple solution might be to pave the road to prevent dust from being kicked up.  My guess is that this has already been suggested, and turned down by the preservationists.  If such is the case, then I'd venture to guess that the effect of dust on the art is a red herring that's being used by people whose real motive is to close the area (or at least the road) off to all vehicles.  Did you notice that there's no mention of any Native American group involved in the effort?

If not, the preservationists also have another motive.  Just like the drilling company, it's $$$$.  Preservation organizations often use "eminent domain" to seize properties, and entire regions being used for things that they disagree with, just so that they can use them for their own purposes.  Keep in mind, the National Trust for Historic Preservation is a for-profit business.  It's not run by concerned altruistic citizens interested in such things as Indian art; it's run by lawyers, real estate investors, public relations people, and accountants. 

I don't necessarily view historical preservation as being carte blanche a good thing.  Sometimes it is.  But more and more, it's become a major moneymaking business and, as such, is going to grow and grow and grow, enabling itself to take control of more and more properties, districts, regions, etc.  What's good for people (jobs created by that mining company, for instance) is not high on their list of concerns.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 4:53am
Let's see.
The Taliban was carrying out a purposeful campaign to eradicate traces of any other religion than their own in an entire country, including destroying books and other historical artifacts, using ancient religious sites for artillery practice, killing dissenters, etc., in other words, intentionally destroying every bit of the past history of Afghanistan they could get their hands on.

Versus
You cannot even pick up an arrowhead on BLM or National Park land (even if it's sitting on top of the ground), or any other artifact 50 years old or older, nor may you dig on such land or disturb the vegetation (heaven help you if you get caught taking a crap in the wilderness!), with severe penalties for disturbing a "heritage" site (including having your vehicle seized and forfeited if you are caught with an artifact), plus the many other restrictions in effect for our "public" land.

Nope, sorry, I don't see the comparison you're making (but I do give you credit for caring....)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic