Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ever call in a request at a radio station?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ever call in a request at a radio station?
    Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:37pm
I did it once, I suppose if it still happens people use text, Twitter or Facebook.
Before B&T made it big, they had another female in the studio with them before the Christy Lee era.

She was moved to an afternoon shift, I requested some Led Zepplin and tried to flirt with her a little bit. Evil Smile

"Stairway To Heaven or Going To California?"  She said.  I was being coy kinda like Cranathang would be...Oh! C'mon, how about something from Physical Graffiti?  She hung up on me!  But she played this for me! LOL

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:42pm

Back in my 20s, I called an easy listening station and requested Oh Bondage, Up Yours by X-ray Spex.  The guy hung up on me.

Another time, I called an oldies station and requested Lady Jane by the Stones.  Once again, the answer was no.  Even though it was Top 40, the guy said it wasn't "upbeat" enough.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 10:27pm
I used to call in requests occasionally when I was a kid. I called in a request to WKKO am in Cocoa, Fl back when I was about 12 or 13.

I told the DJ if I didn't hear the song I was requesting immediately, that I would die.

After the song that was playing during my call was over he came on the air and said mock breathlessly... "A guy just called up and said if he didn't hear (name of song) right away he was gonna DIE!!!!!

And then he played it.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 3:05am
In 1987, while I was at work someone set a radio to a station, hardly an hour would go by without having to endure ANOTHER playing of Everybody Dance Now by C&C Music Factory Angry Just before break time I told a co-worker I had half a mind to call that station's request line and request they DON'T play this song. I was goaded by my co-workers to do this so I went to the pay phone and placed a call. Much to my surprise the call went through and it turned out they were doing a trivia contest. The question I was asked concerned what movie did Don Ameche win an Oscar for in 1985. I answered Cocoon, which was the right answer. After work I drove to the radio station and picked up my prize, a CD of Swing Out Sister's It's Better to Travel. My co-workers couldn't believe my luck.

PS, I never gave my "anti request" (I won't bite the hand that feeds me). LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 3:19am
When I was about 12 I requested Tommy James Mony Mony ride the pony version from the local AM station. The DJ said they were not supposed to play it but "what the hell kid". It played within 10 minutes.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Cranedy Pouth View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cranedy Pouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 4:55am
I called in a request to a Love Radio station(Love 94) to my crush with my message being something like,"Ann, I like you so much. You are sweet, nice, and wonderful." I want you to be my girlfriend. You are the girl of my dreams.The song that played for her was something like,"Always And Forever," by Heatwave. This was in 2000.

I remember thinking,"What 15 year old girl is going to be listening to be listening to "Love 94? Girls today are listening to Spice Girls, NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Brandy, Monica, Britney Spears, not Michael Bolton and Phil Collins. I can say my dedication for Ann without pop looking like a creep!"

Lo and behold, the next day her friend Veronica told me that she heard my dedication because her mom happened to be listening to Love 94 while cleaning house! Veronica said,"Me and my sister were both like,"Holy crap! That's Max giving Ann a love dedication song on the radio! Lol!"

Whoops! Didn't factor in that Ann's friend's MOTHER could be playing Lovev94 in the house! Ann asked me to tell her about the "Love dedication"(Veronica and her sister had told Ann about the love dedication but Ann wanted me to tell her about it myself) I confessed that it was true and Ann did not think I was a creep, she thought it was amusing and cute. :)

So, that's my radio dedication experience. :)
Using nuclear weapons on problem people is not the answer, you psychopath!

Also, Keith Richards is a damn cockroach outliving everybody! LOL
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 5:06am
I emailed in a request once.  The first response back was "No, we don't play that song", and later another came (dif dj) with the hour it would be played.
I think most stations used "canned" playlists now, & the dj's only answer the phone because they are bored (though Clear Channel has used fake "request calls" in the past.)  It's all a crap shoot in any event...  Wink
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 3:01pm
When I was a kid, though I can't recall what specific songs I requested. Back then I mostly listened to country music, so it was country stuff, that much I can tell you...
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 5:54pm
I loved listening to the radio when I was a kid. Had a little Toshiba transistor.

When I was 12 or 13 I used to take it, put it under my pillow and listen to The King Biscuit Flour Hour late at night.

I remember the first time I heard Elton John doing Honky Cat was on that radio under my pillow.

This was the kind it was....

Listened to it throughout my childhood...

My folks bought it for my sister when we lived in Hawaii. Then she eventually gave it to me.

Still have it,too.

Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 11:35pm
When I was a child, I occasionally called KJNO and KINY (both in Juneau AK. USA) to request music; I don't remember ever being hung up upon or turned down.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic