Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Craig T. Nelson/Poltergeist/Carrol Ann/Direct TV
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Craig T. Nelson/Poltergeist/Carrol Ann/Direct TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chet Desmond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Craig T. Nelson/Poltergeist/Carrol Ann/Direct TV
    Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 1:35am
Caught this during the Dallas/Washington game.

I just kind of find it a bit morbid to have this commercial, since she died under such horrible conditions (mis-diagnosis of a blocked intestine). 

Call me nuts.  I think it's in kind of poor taste on Direct TV's part.
Sponsored Links

Fang View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 8:43am
I also saw this commercial during the Dallas/Washington game. Feeling the same reaction as you, I turned to my husband and commented..."How awful to use that poor little girl in their commercial. She's dead now". I was further surprised to see Craig T. Nelson at the end of the commercial, knowing that he played her father in the Poltergeist movie series. It all seemed rather insensitive.
B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 8:38pm
I wonder if her parents had to authorize the use of her image.
Chet Desmond View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chet Desmond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 8:47pm

Good question.  Boy, I hope not. 

Bad choice on Craig T. Nelsons's part.  Though I never liked this guy anyway, so it doesn't come as a shock to me.
rocketman70092 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman70092 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 5:53am
Ive been scouring the internet like mad for the vid of this, or even a decent description of the ad. With the apparent backlash, this ad has probably been yanked from the airwaves by now.

erod550 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erod550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 7:29am
Not yanked yet, I just saw it tonight.

While I can see why some would think it is distasteful because the girl is dead, where do we draw the line?  Should no ne ever be allowed to watch Poltergeist again because the girl died?  Will there be the same backlash if they make another commercial with a clip of The Godfather where Al Pacino takes a minute to talk about DirecTV and John Cazale is in the background?

I don't mean to be insensitive or anything, but dead people are seen on TV every day.  I don't see why this is such a big deal.
B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 5:01pm
I completely see your point but I think the issue is she was such a little girl, and she in fact died right at the end of filming Poltergeist 3.  Obviously the movie will always be enjoyed, but this is capitalizing on a dead CHILD'S image for marketing purposes.  I think it's just unsettling enough to be distasteful.  And I still want to know who gets the paycheck for the use of her image in this one.  The movie residuals are one thing, but someone had to strike up a whole new deal for this commercial.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chet Desmond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 1:44am
Do I think it's distasteful to put John Wayne in a commercial?  No.  But there is just something I find distasteful in this instance for some reason.
boychimp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boychimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2008 at 3:50am
Ad has def. not been pulled - evening of 10/4 during NL West pennant, and have seen it twice. So sick of seeing it I googled it and found this board/thread.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds this distasteful. To echo a poster above, I don't find Fred Astaire or John Wayne in an ad offensive, but there's something that just seems totally wrong about using this girl who died young in the ads. And it's even more wrong for Craig T. Nelson to agree to the ad.

I mean, come on dude. Pick up a dinner theater gig or something. Shameful.

athomas917 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2008 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by B.the1st B.the1st wrote:

I wonder if her parents had to authorize the use of her image.

They wouldn't have the rights to the movie clip she was in, since they never had it in the first place.
sjchevalier07 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjchevalier07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 8:57pm
Yeah,I agree this commercial is terrible.Also,you can't even see Craig T. Nelson's face in the commercial.I think the camera wasn't in focus when they showed him talking about DirecTV.It was weird!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 9:17pm
I thought it was funny

when I first saw it.

*runs way dodging tomatoes*

LOL

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
BadWX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadWX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 6:37am
Here is the ad

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 4:35pm
I also hate this ad. I didn't realize the little girl had passed on, (I never saw the movie, not my sort of flick), and I think it's very weird to use a clip of her.

What do her parents think? is what goes through my mind.

As for that hack Nelson, he'll do just about anything to try and resurrect is forgotten career.

I'm glad I don't have Direct TV, if I did, I'd cancel.
One man gathers what another man spills
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 4:44pm
I just say this POS. Damn CIH effect!AngryLOL
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 5:19pm
I saw just a few seconds of this commercial Sunday and it was freaky. I'll have to pay attention to it the next time.

Poltergeist was popular back int he day, but until I read this thread and saw the commercial, I pretty much forgot all about that movie.

Young Posters - do you remember this movie at all? (just curious!)
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chet Desmond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 11:25pm
Just saw it again.    Yeah, this commercial officially pisses me off. 

The part about the decision not to get Direct TV "haunting him" while a dead little girl is standing in front of his bed is just wrong.  

Craig T. Nelson:  You are a Jerk.
tillzen View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2008 at 9:51pm

Great call!

Grecian Formula $12.00

Paying Off a Dead Child Actor's Agent and Family 3K

Admitting Craig T. Nelson Will do ANYTHING for a buck ... Priceless!

I write about stuff like this www.tillzen.net (more funny than deep)
tillzen View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2008 at 10:15pm
This was the longest gap in royalty checks since Jon-Erik Hexum.
 (If you get this joke you either are Dennis Miller, or we have been friends for 30 years)
LisaMLisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaMLisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 1:59am
Here are my thoughts, I heard about this on Bob and Tom this morning while driving to work. I had not seen the commercial until tonight when I came to find this blog. I realize that many people are outraged by this commercial but I don not find it offensive. It's no different then the movie playing on the TV. If anything I think it is a sort of tribute to Heather O'Rourke. It is a tragedy that she died, but the commercial reminds me of her existence.
She was discovered by Steven Spielberg at the MGM commissary, while there with her mother at the age of 5. Honestly just let the commercial serve as a reminder of her existence. The absolutely adorable cherub from Poltergeist.

By the way the girl that played her older sister (Dana) in the movie was strangled by her crazy boyfriend before the movie was ever released.   
athomas917 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 1:36pm
Doesn't Craig look more than a little like Al Bundy in bed?  I was half expecting Peg to wake up or something.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 1:50pm
I've seen this commercial.  I don't think that it is actually Craig T Nelson in the commercial.
It's some other guy they computer spliced in.  The guy talking doesn't sound exactly like him either.  He doesn't have a real distinct voice or appearance for that matter.

I have only seen the movie like once though so I don't have the scene memorized.

tillzen View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 2:18pm
You would be wrong, it IS Craig T. Nelson, wearing tar based hair dye. Also the older dead daughter was the niece of one of our greatest writers (John Gregory Dunne) and the actual daughter of society hack writer Dominick Dunne. The actress Dominique Dunne fell in love with the Chef @ Ma Maison JT Sweeney who strangled her to death in a fit of jealousy.

my website www.tillzen.net is as fact filled as this ... there is no guessing ot stoned typing (if interested)
tillzen View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 2:27pm
Oh and the actress they couldn't afford (who pretends to be sleeping) next to CRAIG T. NELSON is Jobeth Williams who I last saw as in "24" playing Peter Weller's wife. I actually prefer this commercial to "24" at least it is over in 30 seconds. "24" is like they combined "Mission Impossible" With the Sport Where U Sweep Up- "Curling". it is slower than Baseball.
erod550 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erod550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 6:32am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

I've seen this commercial.  I don't think that it is actually Craig T Nelson in the commercial.
It's some other guy they computer spliced in.  The guy talking doesn't sound exactly like him either.  He doesn't have a real distinct voice or appearance for that matter.

I have only seen the movie like once though so I don't have the scene memorized.

Actually, Craig T. Nelson does have a very distinctive voice, and it is definitely him.

Showing a dead girl in the commercial does not piss me off.  Showing the commercial 2-3 times every break does.  I defended the commercial at first but now I'm just sick of seeing it and want it to go away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic