Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cops and Live PD cancelled

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cops and Live PD cancelled
    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 8:33pm
My least favorite thing about these changing times are the cancellations of COPS and Live PD last month. I really liked both, but the one I don't understand is Live PD. It was the most popular show outside of sports and news on Friday and Saturday nights, was a big cash cow for A&E, had at least 7 spinoffs and was heavily promoted. Why do you go from being very proud of your #1 show to dumping it with no fanfare? I personally think Cops wasn't nearly as popular these past few years compared to the 90's, but it still had a loyal audience. A&E's ratings have gone down since Live PD's cancellation, and there is lots of backlash on their social media profiles.  I think A&E's ratings will be down for quite awhile. 
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:05pm

BLM rules.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

BLM rules.

I believe it's as much a case of advertising dollars, sponsor demands and popular opinion/public perception as it is BLM.

Certainly BLM is calling attention to a lot of what they claim is unfair treatment and representation of blacks (I don't agree with it) but if it wasn't getting traction with a lot of people, sponsors of these shows wouldn't be getting nervous about being associated with these shows and threatening to pull their ads and their advertising dollars.

It's easy to blame it all a group of obnoxious squeaky wheels, but there's more to it than just that.

And BTW, Cops was originally on Fox, the perennial favorite network of conservatives, but they dropped it years ago. 

Conservatives should lobby Fox to pick it back up again and tell BLM to GFTS.

Mon aéroglisseur est plein d'anguilles.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 5:34am
Won't happen, FOX is pretty much owned by Disney now...
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Won't happen, FOX is pretty much owned by Disney now...

Plus, long before Disney ownership, FOX pretty much stopped being committed to the show starting in the 2010's, which caused the show to be cancelled by them before moving to Spike/Paramount Network until they cancelled it last month. 
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 5:31pm
Cops is still on the program guide, they air some other stupid show.
I can't complain but sometimes I still do
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Cops is still on the program guide, they air some other stupid show.

What channel's listed as airing it and what's on instead?
jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by radioandnascarfan radioandnascarfan wrote:

My least favorite thing about these changing times are the cancellations of COPS and Live PD last month. I really liked both, but the one I don't understand is Live PD. It was the most popular show outside of sports and news on Friday and Saturday nights, was a big cash cow for A&E, had at least 7 spinoffs and was heavily promoted. Why do you go from being very proud of your #1 show to dumping it with no fanfare? I personally think Cops wasn't nearly as popular these past few years compared to the 90's, but it still had a loyal audience. A&E's ratings have gone down since Live PD's cancellation, and there is lots of backlash on their social media profiles.  I think A&E's ratings will be down for quite awhile. 

I saw yesterday that A&E's ratings have plummeted since cancelling Live PD

Get woke, go brokeLOL
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:54pm
Yup. Down 49% in a little over a month. I wonder when A&E will regret cancelling their cash cow.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 9:30pm
Let's hope they have to go back to the producers of the show, grovelling and begging on their hands and knees.

I hate assholes who run TV networks.
jgf View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 10:39pm
Don't recall ever seeing LivePD, but I stopped  watching A&E years ago when they dumped all their documentary programming in favor of hours of Axe Men, Hillbilly Hand Fishin', and Iced Toad Suckers.

Watched COPS occasionally, though it left the impression the only people committing crimes in this country are in ghettos and trailer parks.  Not once did I ever see them go into an affluent neighborhood after an embezzler or wife beater, not once did I see them pull over a shiny new car ...unless it was stolen.

But I suspect if these shows were canceled it was due to waning interest in "reality shows" in general, and to production costs in an age where "body cam" videos are freely available all over the internet.  Public opinion has never outweighed corporate profit.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by jgf jgf wrote:

Don't recall ever seeing LivePD, but I stopped  watching A&E years ago when they dumped all their documentary programming in favor of hours of Axe Men, Hillbilly Hand Fishin', and Iced Toad Suckers.

Watched COPS occasionally, though it left the impression the only people committing crimes in this country are in ghettos and trailer parks.  Not once did I ever see them go into an affluent neighborhood after an embezzler or wife beater, not once did I see them pull over a shiny new car ...unless it was stolen.

But I suspect if these shows were canceled it was due to waning interest in "reality shows" in general, and to production costs in an age where "body cam" videos are freely available all over the internet.  Public opinion has never outweighed corporate profit.

The kind of uniformed patrol cops depicted on those shows only handle "street level" crime.

They don't handle high level, "white collar" crimes like embezzlement, etc.

That kind of crime is investigated prior to arrests being made and that is all done by plain clothes detectives who ride in unmarked cars.

OTOH, they certainly handled their share of "wife beater" (more commonly known as "domestic abuse") calls on those shows.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic