Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cancer Centers of America

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cancer Centers of America
    Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 12:31am
Is it me or do they really milk out the emotion of the cancer victims in the ad? I'm sure there are plenty of other people who are not "at death's doorstep with double brain cancer before calling cancer center" that they could also use.
Sponsored Links

70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 2:57pm
I hate how every channel shows these ads for every program.  I could better tolerate it if they'd cut down on these a little.
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 4:54pm
I guess it is overbearing for those who've no reason to worry - and maybe informative to those that suddenly could use a place like that. Cancer is pretty terrible - it can kill ya, dontcha know.
We have one that tops this, though - The Roswell Cancer Institute. All over the sides of busses, all over the T.V. screens, all across the radio dial..."YOU have prostate cancer - YOU go to Roswell!". It is shovelled so heavily down your throat that if you didn't have it, you do now! Time to peddle the pooper on down the road to Roswell... 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 5:18pm
If the ads represent the facility accurately, and there is good reason for them to say that they provide hope to cancer patients, I'm all for it.  The idea that a person can stay in one place, and have expert medical care come to them, is good.  I'd imagine that schlepping around from doctor to doctor to clinic to pharmacy, does not do a cancer patient any good.

So, I'll give these commercials a pass.

athomas917 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 6:03pm
I'm glad that there are places like this for cancer sufferers, but a service like this sells itself, you know, build it and they will come.  No need to pull at the heartstrings for extra business.
big_E View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big_E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 8:13pm
I really hate the logo.  It's a little boy playing under a tree with a model airplane and a dog.  Yes, that's their actual logo.   Talk about emotional blackmail.  Go to cancer treatment centers of america and you'll be able to beat cancer watch your grandson in a blissful state of play.  If you don't you'll miss out on the rest of his childhood and he'll have to mourn your death.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 8:55pm
I just can't believe there are that many crummy, "BURLY" emotionless cancer doctors out there. I guess if you work at Cancer Treatment Centers, you're all warm and fuzzy but if you're employed at Memorial Sloane Kettering, you're a blank, expressionless piece of garbage.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 9:09pm
I think, if the Cancer Treatment Centers of America are as great as they claim to be, their greatness would be a recommendation within the medical community.  I think they have a right to advertise, but they advertise too much!  You get the message that if your cancer has been diagnosed as incurable, the CTCA can change that.....which is deceptive.  I'd go for a second opinion, but I wouldn't bet on any different diagnosis.

My dad's cancer physicians are at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.  They are two of the greatest guys I've met.  They were upfront, honest, and human.....and they really clicked with my dad.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 9:29pm
I had pneumonia a few years ago.  Antibiotics weren't working, and after a CT Scan and various tests, the radiologists' impression was that I had lung cancer.  One of my symptoms was keratosis of my larynx, which is also consistent with lung cancer (remember how Peter Jennings sounded when he announced he had lung cancer?  I sounded worse than that; worse even than Tom Waits.)

While my larynx was being scoped, the doctors were talking about what they saw, with no regard to the fact that I was right there.  They were quite positive that this looked consistent with my lung cancer, and said so in a very matter-of-fact way...as if they were telling me what my total was at the supermarket checkout register.

Luckily, a very compassionate and low-keyed pulmonologist who I was referred to for a lung biopsy, took all my tests into account and said "Let's try more antibiotics.  I don't think a lung biopsy is going to prove anything.  I think a biopsy would be pointless". 

I'd been so used to hearing "Looks bad, whoever you are" that it took me a few seconds to translate his words in my head, and realize that he was saying that he does NOT think I had lung cancer.  For a few seconds, I thought he meant it was so bad, that I shouldn't even waste time with a biopsy.  Even then, a few months later, when my voice came back and my pneumonia cleared up, it was still another few months before I truly accepted that I was not knockin' on heaven's door.  All this, over a misdiagnosed pneumonia, and a few docs who were quite fine with letting me think I was going to die.

In the meantime, I had written up a will, and was actively seeking out people willing to take my cats if I should die.  I even duked it out with my bro, who was insisting I move back to NJ so he and his wife could take care of me. 

This is what bad bedside manner can cause.

Addendum:  Yet I continue to smoke.  Unhappy

Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 3:13am
Thor, glad you're fine!! And as a comedian once said, "Smoking takes 10 years off your life.... but who wants to live THOSE last 10 years, anyway?!" Wink

And because I'm always playing devil's advocate for some reason: Doctors are trained like diagnostic robots. Figure out which tests to run, analyze the results, report them to patient, prescribe accordingly. Humans only have so much capacity to mourn and sympathize, so they just don't have it in them to do it for each and every one of the dozens of patients they see daily.

But leading you to believe you've got freakin' cancer, jeeeeez. A note of apology at least!! Ouch
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 4:04am
Thanks, Christine.  I really can't blame any of the doctors in particular.  It was more the lack of communication between them.

Luckily, I have a good friend, a Licensed Physician Assistant, who illegally got access to all my medical records, doubted I had lung cancer all along, and kept me from totally losing it.  He also pulled a few strings.

Yeah.  A note of apology would've been nice.  I'll just take it as a learning experience, I guess...though a refund of some of the $10,000 plus in cash I put out for those worthless tests and appointments would be nice, considering that, ultimately, all I needed was the right antibiotics.

BDrums1971 View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDrums1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2009 at 4:36am
Back to the commercial..... I, too am sick of these stupid emotional wrenching commercials. Don't forget, health care is a business, first and foremost. I can't say whether CTCA is a quality place or not, but their commercials sure are slick, and you can bet SOMEONE is making a good chunk of money off of all the patients they "treat".

I hate how when they interview the "patients" and they describe how the previous doctor they went to said "Stop smiling....what are you so happy about? You have cancer."  And a previous version of the commercial had a "patient" say their previous doctor just walked in the room, said "You have cancer" and just walked out.

Now, I don't know if those are true stories, or made up for the commercial (don't scoff, it happens), but you gotta figure the huge majority of health care workers and doctors are much more considerate than that. On the commercial, they make it sound routine, and if you go to 'regular' hospitals, this is the norm, so come spend your money here to get well. I just don't like the tone of the commercials. Again, they may be a great place, just bad commercials.
Titus77 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 1:09pm
These and all cancer-related ads never show people who look like they had/have cancer. The message is 'use our product and you will be cured and look great'. The CTCA ads are so feel-good they nearly make me wish I had a little cancer so I could go to such a helpful, welcoming and healing place. Ick.
Where's The Beef?
thespianmom View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thespianmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 5:16pm

And what kind of bothers me the worst, having lost a brother to cancer....

Did anyone ever notice that there's a tiny disclaimer running across the top that says "You should not expect these results"?

I imagine many, many times it doesn't matter WHICH hospital you go to.

The Random Classic View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Random Classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2009 at 11:21pm

Indeed,& Here Is THE Worst Offender Of That Category:Peggy Kessler

Commercials I Hate Rules!!!!

"Why does Godzilla care about subway?"-Hezadancer

"Cats are animals.Their brains are the size of Milk Duds."-Kat
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2009 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by The Random Classic The Random Classic wrote:

EDIT:Okay,Someone Really Needs To Help Me With The Tube Tags

RC -
I'm thinking the "How To..." thread might have a bit on it . Tizzer put something out there, I suspect. but it is pretty simple:
take the bolded portion of the following example:
and simply wrap it as follows (ensure there are no spaces between the open and close brackets ([]), and the specific instruction ('tube' and '/tube'):
[ tube ]Z5M7aNYQZ9Q[ /tube ]
You can also add, right after the 'Q',
&fmt=18
for better quality. 
Good Luck.
...now - back to topic....
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Random Classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 4:48am
Alright,I Fixed Teh Video.

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 3:33pm

EDIT:Okay,Someone Really Needs To Help Me With The Tube Tags

I thought I did (?)

Anyway - good job fixing it.

Thanks, Pa!
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 10:50pm
...though a refund of some of the $10,000 plus in cash I put out for those worthless tests and appointments would be nice, considering that, ultimately, all I needed was the right antibiotics.

Ah, true. A note saying "Sorry" and a check for at least that much.....most definitely! I hope you were able to get something out of this.
athomas917 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 11:47pm

She looks like Peggy Hill without the glasses.LOLLOL
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Random Classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by athomas917 athomas917 wrote:

She looks like Peggy Hill without the glasses.LOLLOL
He Shoots,ZING! He Scores!ClapClapClapLOL

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 11:49pm
Peggy Kessler=Peggy Hill in real life.LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Random Classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Peggy Kessler=Peggy Hill in real life.LOL
BAM! There's Another Zinger!LOLGod I Love This Website...

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Random Classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 3:15am
Dead I Saw Ol' Peggy "Hill" Kessler On TV Today,Her Commercial,Dear God.

FrootLoops View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrootLoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 4:01am
I still don't understand this commercial, what do they want from me? If I get cancer should I go to the center, fill out an application, wait it in the office, then get a bill for $75.00 for breating the air in the waiting room?
Do they charge for that in hospitals? I know they charge you for waiting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic