Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cadbury Chocolate Bar - "Mum's Birthday"commercial
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cadbury Chocolate Bar - "Mum's Birthday"commercial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinkies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cadbury Chocolate Bar - "Mum's Birthday"commercial
    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 5:02am
I'm not sure if this commercial is aired in USA as Cadbury is a british company, but here in Canada it is being run constantly:

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0eEqeizNCA - http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0eEqeizNCA 

And here is my opinion:

I can't stand this hackneyed attempt at emotional manipulation. The little girl goes into the store by herself, which is required for the plot, so she has to be of an age where it would be appropriate for her to enter a store by herself. But that means she's definitely old enough to know what money is. So she must know she is essentially trying to steal a chocolate bar. While she does say 'please', her staid expression and tone seems strangely demanding. Why doesn't she explain that she has no money and wants to trade her trinkets for a chocolate bar, in a more friendly tone, and maybe even have the social graces to smile??

So she gets the chocolate bar and we see her outside the store giving it to her mother while saying "Happy birthday, mum". So that means she would have had to tell her mother to wait outside while she goes into the store to do something she can't tell her mother about because that would spoil the surprise. A little weird, perhaps, but not a problem until the mother receives the chocolate bar. At that point the mother should be going back into the store and possibly discreetly pay for the chocolate, however even that wouldn't work because the mother has no idea that the shopkeep accepted the trinkets for the chocolate. Knowing her kid has no money, she would naturally have to assume the kid stole the chocolate bar outright.

Ok now let's get back to the message of this commercial, which is that "there is goodness in everyone" The shopkeep is clearly middle-eastern, so the message here is that even though you hate middle-easterners like you should (their opinion, not mine), you're actually wrong. What does that mean? That if the shopkeep hadn't accepted the trinkets in exchange for the chocolate, he would be devoid of 'goodness? This guy is trying to eek out a living running a business with extremely low profit margins, and we're supposed to be happy that these middle-class white people just ripped him off? Well I refuse! I already know that middle-eastern people aren't evil, so I don't need a lame attempt to jerk tears of compassion out of me because I'm not the racist that this commercial assumes the majority of white people are (and in that respect, they're probably right).
Sponsored Links

jinkies View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinkies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 5:04am
Ooops sorry I wanted to be Notified of Replies but forgot to click the tag and I can't find a way of editing my post, so I am posting this and enabling the Notify tag so I'll know if anyone responds to this thread... Otherwise ignore this post and focus on the one above!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 5:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic