Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bush's Beans talking dog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bush's Beans talking dog
    Posted: 29 May 2008 at 12:49pm
The first Bush's Beans ad, where Bush says only he and his dog know the secret recipe, and they show the dog with a jeweled collar, was pretty clever. But after that, they have the dog speaking, which ruins the wit of the original and becomes just another stupid talking animal ad. I guess it's easier to mess up a good concept and go with the lowest common denominator rather than attempt to keep it smart.
Sponsored Links

LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 5:27pm
Welcome aboard, JimA.  I am a softie for anything with four feet, so I like the dog, but I agree that the sponsor has gone too far with the concept.
Love endures all.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 5:39pm

I agree, too (and yes, Welcome, JimA) but I still find myself saying:

"Roll that beautiful bean footage!"

The artist formerly known as Madawee

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 6:12pm
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I agree, too (and yes, Welcome, JimA) but I still find myself saying:

"Roll that beautiful bean footage!"

LOL

The dog has still managed to be funny all these years.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 7:17pm
Leave it to Kraft Foods to ruin a perfectly unique product as well as an equally creative ad campaign that has been seriously dumbed down.  
IHaveStandards View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IHaveStandards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 3:31am
I was surprised to learn from Bush's latest ad campaign that I've been committing a food faux pas by eating the same baked beans when we're "grillin" as any other time. Thank goodness they saved me with their "Grillin' Beans!!!" And in four flavor choices, no less.

I wonder if the resulting "natural gas" has a different bouquet as well?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 3:10pm
I had a can of Bush's Baked Beans recently.  Nothing very "secret" about the recipe.  All ingredients are listed right there!!  Nothing you can't get at your supermarket, either.  That is, no guar gum or potassium sorbate or any such thing.  Good stuff!

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I had a can of Bush's Baked Beans recently.  Nothing very "secret" about the recipe.  All ingredients are listed right there!!  Nothing you can't get at your supermarket, either.  That is, no guar gum or potassium sorbate or any such thing.  Good stuff!

Writing "secret ingredient" in the contents list gets the FDA people a little concerned.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
JimA View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 12:11pm
Well, no, that's my point. If the dog talks, then there is no reason the guy should automatically assume the secret is safe. If he doesn't tell any other family member, he wouldn't tell the dog. If he doesn't know the dog talks, he isn't smart enough to keep a secret anyway.  Sorry, but that's how my mind works.
sickntired View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sickntired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 12:43pm
That spoof is hilarious!
I like Duke!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by JimA JimA wrote:

Well, no, that's my point. If the dog talks, then there is no reason the guy should automatically assume the secret is safe. If he doesn't tell any other family member, he wouldn't tell the dog. If he doesn't know the dog talks, he isn't smart enough to keep a secret anyway.  Sorry, but that's how my mind works.

Plus, considering that dogs crap in full view of anyone and everyone, I don't think that keeping secrets is what they're about.

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 3:22pm
It amazes me, that the dog manages to be a better actor than the guy! I'm a baked bean bandit by the way! My church is hosting a baked bean bake-off, being so near Boston we have the whole bean thing down! Mine are killer!!!! [if I do say so myself Embarrassed] I guess that's why churches have "pews"Big%20smile
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

...a baked bean bandit in baked bean bake-off, being near BostonBig%20smile

THAT left me..b.b.b.b.b.bababbling...LOL

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 6:54pm
Good Luck, Big Momma!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

It amazes me, that the dog manages to be a better actor than the guy! I'm a baked bean bandit by the way! My church is hosting a baked bean bake-off, being so near Boston we have the whole bean thing down! Mine are killer!!!! [if I do say so myself Embarrassed] I guess that's why churches have "pews"Big%20smile

Let us know how your beans "turned out", BM.Big%20smile

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 7:27pm
Yes - absolutely! Good Luck, BM! - and, well...if we all send you our addresses via PM (along with a green thingy) - will ya send us some beans???
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 12:37am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Yes - absolutely! Good Luck, BM! - and, well...if we all send you our addresses via PM (along with a green thingy) - will ya send us some beans???
You bet your life baby!!!Big%20smile
old_mop View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old_mop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2009 at 8:26pm
Duke has now stooped to disguising himself as Jay's great-grandfather's ghost.  He could have gotten away with it by just putting on a mop on his head and telling Jay he was great aunt Barbara Bush.
you can blame it all on me
Prometheus View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prometheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 10:20am
Originally posted by 8 Track Single 8 Track Single wrote:

Leave it to Kraft Foods to ruin a perfectly unique product as well as an equally creative ad campaign that has been seriously dumbed down.  

Leave it to Kraft Foods to ruin any food into a "pasteurized-process food-like substance". Their cheese is made with milk....Real cheese is made from milk OMG...and they promote that as why I should feed my kids lard and preservatives, with 5% milk mixed in, as a healthy meal?

In the cheese industry, "American Cheese" is often shunned and not recognized as a cheese. It all-too-completely displays the "culture" that this country has, or the lack thereof. "Plastic is perfect"...

Anytime I am offered "american cheese", I refuse. If they offer me a "swiss-flavored" version, I still refuse. Nothing tastes better than the real thing.
Immune to all forms of marketing since 1976!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 1:47am
I still remember when the old commercial featured him eating the secret recipe by putting the paper in his mouth and chewing it, I HATED that one when I was a kid.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
BDrums1971 View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDrums1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2009 at 6:09am
I actually kind of like these commercials. *GASP* At least it's somewhat lowkey and not in your face stupid like so many of the others. To me, it's not overty annoying like other commercials. Yea, I could see how it could get on your nerves after a while, but man, IMO, there's way, way worse ads out there. The Progressive commercials for example!Smile
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2009 at 3:42pm
I actually sort of like the one where Duke has a sheet on and is acting like "grandpa's ghost" - then toward the end of the commercial, the guy says "Grandpa didn't have a tail". LOL
My father rather likes that particular spot too.

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2009 at 7:27pm
That dog seems like an asshole to me.
Pirate Alyx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2009 at 8:06pm
Cleveland..have you ever had a dog?

I like the Dog in the Bush's Beans commericals..except lately they are really trying to get blood out a turnip with these new ones....I think they need to make them as they originally did using the dog...more intelligent spoofs and not lame ones.....I just would love to see the mucky mucks who devise these commercials........sigh!  The one where he turns him into a Hot Dog I thought was real cornball!

I tried the Grillin Beans...I love the Bourbon one...oh my yummy yum.  Booze in most food ------  "is a good thing" as Martha says. 

And did you ever notice what a beautiful dog that is...his coat is soooo shiny!
plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is..............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic