Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boars Head Bacon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boars Head Bacon
    Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 5:13pm
I splurged (yeah, the stuff is pricey - $7.00 a pound) but a) I don't eat bacon very often and b) I was pairing it with some gorgeous home grown tomatoes that deserved something spectacular.  

Worth every cent. The bacon isn't as salty as others, the slices were thicker with a real meaty bite. I got the Naturally Smoked pound package.

I'm dreaming about my next BLT. I'm not kidding. I may have to buy 1 more pound while the tomatoes are coming in fast and furious. And that will be it until next year.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 7:03pm

'Boar's Head' stuff is almost always excellent - thanks Maddy - think we'll give it a try; sounds delicious.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 8:11pm
There are two things I don't skimp on....meat and toilet paper.  
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

ConfusedYou prefer 'Boar's Head' toilet paper there, Hooty?
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 8:27pm
And I eat Charmin sandwiches....LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 8:48pm

And I eat Charmin sandwiches....LOL

We're talkin' bacon here---not sausages.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 8:52pm
I cook bacon to a burnt crisp...so I don't think quality matters.

Actually, I cook it to just before "a burnt crisp", and then it finishes up on its own.  I don't like too many things burnt, but bacon is an exception.  Besides, for me, half the beauty of bacon is the way it smells as it cooks.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 9:44pm
I like my bacon almost burnt, too, and the surprising thing about this brand is that it doesn't crumble into bacon dust - it still has that chewy - almost jerky snap to it so you really feel like you're eating something.

That's another recommendation - 2 slices (ok, 3 or 4) will defintely fill you and satisfy you, whereas the thinner brands (Oscar meyer, Hormel, Armour) I would literally be able to scarf down the entire package.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 9:51pm
I like my bacon limp....at my age I enjoy the company.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 12:56am

I like my bacon limp....at my age I enjoy the company.

OuchTHIS IS NOT A 'DONNA THANG' THREAD!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 1:12am
C'mon Pa, you like your bacon limp too.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 2:18am
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I splurged (yeah, the stuff is pricey - $7.00 a pound) but a) I don't eat bacon very often and b) I was pairing it with some gorgeous home grown tomatoes that deserved something spectacular.  

Worth every cent. The bacon isn't as salty as others, the slices were thicker with a real meaty bite. I got the Naturally Smoked pound package.

I'm dreaming about my next BLT. I'm not kidding. I may have to buy 1 more pound while the tomatoes are coming in fast and furious. And that will be it until next year.

Wow... that stuff sounds sooooo good.

Think I'm gonna look for it to go on sale & pick up a package.

I never eat bacon, either.

Love it, just don't eat it.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 6:09pm

maybe if you backed off the meat, the cheaper toilet paper would do the job?
Thethelia thinkth my thoriathith ith thexthy
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by jerkylips jerkylips wrote:

I dunno, but that last statement was only one letter "j" away from taking on an entirely different meaning.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 10:18pm
Boar's Head stuff is great. The store in my area (Sunflower) that sells their products (well, not the only one, but it has the best selection by a long shot) just got bought out by another store... I really hope they keep the layout and products, otherwise I will be very sad... Cry
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2012 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by jerkylips jerkylips wrote:

I dunno, but that last statement was only one letter "j" away from taking on an entirely different meaning.

Confused...if'n yas 'j' enough, do you end up with 'Boar's Head Duck Butter'?
Tom Sewer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Sewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 10:57pm
That sounds like the kind of thing you need to eat in moderation. In this case, moderation would have to be like once a year. 
"Today's Tom Sewer, you get by on him." - Tom Sawyer by Rush... sort of.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic