Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Because Prince is dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

My parents are older than Prince.

And my parents are as dead as Prince.

Sponsored Links

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 11:32pm
In all the music threads here, I never saw the first Prince song.
Should have redecorated the place for " Little Stinker Month" in a lovely brown color.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I spent some dead people, yesterday.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:25am

Deader I'll bet.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:39am
okokok...'Prince' croaked yesterday, doncha know - The Inquiring Mindless NEED TO KNOW: It's a new day, so who else earned their 'Mudmonkey Merit Badge' after midnight - TODAY?
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 3:20am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I have had 2 cars like this, one was a convertable.

Yeah! I like 'Little Red Corvette'!

Nice! I like C4s. I wanted a Corvette when I was 16-18 years old. Nice C1s were well under $1,000. I looked at a nice 1964 Stingray roadster for $1,400. The problem was not money but unobtainable insurance. Fortunately I have been able to drive many Corvettes but never owned one.

EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 4:50am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

In all the music threads here, I never saw the first Prince song.
Should have redecorated the place for " Little Stinker Month" in a lovely brown color.
Wink Great point Tizzer - we still have time. Now all we can do is hope for that kind of sickenly brown-green-yellow & cream tones
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 5:23am
^^nice Corvette! I always had a thing for Corvettes. Even when I was a kid! I have a yellow t-top 80s Corvette plastic toy with flip up headlights! Still have it today! My favorite has got to be the 1960s Stingray. In the past I chose the Stingray for racing on the original Gran Turismo! However I still have a soft spot for the 80s Corvette too. In my GTA playing days after discovering the weird wheels cheat for GTA: Vice City I was pleasantly surprised that one the Cars that had unlimited mass was the Banshee (the 80s Corvette) boy that was FUN! Smashing vehicles and getting chased yipee!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
MrTim View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 5:40am
Quote It's a new day, so who else earned their 'Mudmonkey Merit Badge' after midnight - TODAY?

Chyna OD'd too.  Probably others...
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:52pm
Just caught a news report which claimed he has apparently left an enormous catalog of unpublished music. Should keep fans at bay for a bit.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 6:04pm
I just saw a story quoting one of his former girlfriends, it said Prince was having a lot of pain in his knees from performing in high heels. He was only 5' 2".
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 6:46pm
His friend/associate Kerry Gordy (whose father was Mr. Motown) said that he even played basketball in high heels.  He must've had one helluva short man's complex.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 6:46pm
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/04/22/little-red-corvette-chevrolet-pays-tribute-prince/83411608/
The song is not about a car at all!

The song is about sex, but it's just ambiguous enough not to offend most listeners. Many of Prince's earlier songs, like "Head," "Dirty Mind," and "Soft and Wet," were blatantly sexual, which scared off radio stations.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 6:52pm
^^^Yea. Prince didn't sell-out too much, being he was an anti-gay seventh day adventist, eh?
Smart guy, but I was never a fan - he was 'A.M.', in my books.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

^^^Yea. Prince didn't sell-out too much, being he was an anti-gay seventh day adventist, eh?

He was Jehovah's Witness.

One of the top two or three rock guitarists of all time.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 7:07pm
^He could 'tear it up' with a guitar.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

He was Jehovah's Witness.

One of the top two or three rock guitarists of all time.

Apologies - you are correct, but he was raised in seventh day adventist (both religions have the same roots, but indeed have differences).

As far as where he stands in the world of 'greatest guitarists', neeehhh...just another one in the big ol' line (*my* opinion), but one for the 'A.M.' crowd. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 8:09pm
Back in the early 80s, he seemed to appeal to the same crowd that Madonna appealed to.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 8:11pm

As far as where he stands in the world of 'greatest guitarists', neeehhh...just another one in the big ol' line (*my* opinion), but one for the 'A.M.' crowd. 

Well, naturally everybody has their own opinions about such matters, but as for him being for the 'A.M.' crowd, it is beyond me how, after watching the following two examples of his wizardry, anyone could seriously make that claim...

And beginning @ 3:27 this video

A truly amazing rock guitarist.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 8:14pm

Back in the early 80s, he seemed to appeal to the same crowd that Madonna appealed to.

Yes, he was definitely part of the dance/club music genre early on.

But I think his style evolved somewhat and he began to do a bit more hard rock style music.

That might've somewhat coincided with and been in response to, the appearance on the music scene of Lenny Kravitz.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 8:16pm
Maybe if he did more of that kind of music, I'd have liked him better.  His songs (or at least his hits) just didn't appeal to me.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 8:19pm
Same here.

That and his clothing style.

Too flashy.

But he put out so much music on so many albums, it would've been nearly impossible to hear enough of it to make a fully informed judgement.

That SNL clip above, I had never seen or heard until the SNL tribute show last night.

Blew me away.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 8:31pm
It was kind of that era of flashiness---Prince, Madonna, Boy George, etc.---and I just lumped them all together.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 8:36pm
Big hair, weird outfits.

Flock of Seagulls.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Yes, he was definitely part of the dance/club music genre early on.

But I think his style evolved somewhat and he began to do a bit more hard rock style music.

That might've somewhat coincided with and been in response to, the appearance on the music scene of Lenny Kravitz.

WinkPart of my 'lack of caring' probably has a lot to do with what you both say. Even though the Missus could and occasionally would hit 'The Dance Scene', I was not one for that - just not my style - much less what I came to consider little more than 'meaningless manipulated noise' which got folks up and 'actin' a fool'. Woo Hoo!
"Smile fo' me - sho' me yo' bling..."
Noise for 'Adrenaline Junkies' was the way I saw that stuff...my stuff had to have meaning and not leave me tied up in knots. 
And the likes of Lenny Kravitz? Almost a 'calmed down/disciplined Hendrix'. He just reminded me so much of Hendrix at the outset that I don't think I can view him in his own light, which is probably just not fair, nor right.
Neeehhh...not for me...and maybe I rebelled, leaning toward just as useless, yet different (say, like Iggy Pop's "Pain" - one of my more recent favsLOL).  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic