Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone love musicals?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone love musicals?
    Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 12:14am

When Phantom of the Opera, Chicago and Evita were at the movies I had paid full price 8x each to see them.  Had a chance to see Phantom live 2x in Detroit and once in Vegas.  I am a huge musical fanatic and could watch them all day long.  Star

.. + .-- .- -. - + -.-. .... .. -.-. -.- . -. + .- -. -.. + -.-. .... .. -.-. .... .. ...

I want chicken and Chi-Chi's
Sponsored Links

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 12:33am

I ADORE musicals Yiffy! I was involved in community theater years ago and was in many musicals. I love to watch them on stage or on film! Here is a picture of me getting ready to play Anna in "The King And I'

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 3:20am
Don't get to see too many of them, but my favorates are:

1. Starlight Express

2. Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (I love the Homage to Elvis!)LOL
Happy Shirley Temple Day!
DARK FATHER View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 3:20am
Sadly I never cared for them.  My now-late (dark) mother used to take me to see The Sound of Music when I was 5 or 6. I never could get into musicals.  I was dissapointed that the South Park Movie was done as a musical.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 3:48am

Not really a big 'Musical' fan, although I enjoyed Sweeny Todd, starring Johnny Depp.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Revolennon View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Revolennon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 6:43am
I am! I love theatre in general.  It was my minor in college and I loved every minute of being backstage/working on the plays.  My two fave musicals are Hair and Guys and Dolls. :) 
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 8:43am
I like theater, too, but I'm not so crazy about musicals...which is ironic because every production I've done since graduating college have been musicals! And I can't sing to save my life! I sound like a goat being slaughtered.

Since I work for these people, I get to see free shows and musicals all the time.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 1:58pm
It seems to me that women and gay men love musicals.

I never fancied them myself. I prefer hearing a story spoken rather than hear it sung to me.

There are a few that I have enjoyed though, Chicago & Gigi come to mind. Yet I don't fancy the whole Oklahoma sort of musical.

One man gathers what another man spills
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 2:24pm
Even as a kid, whenever I would see a movie musical on TV, I couldn't get past the idea that there'd be musical accompaniment to the songs, but often not a musician in sight.  It was as if the music was coming down from the heavens.  But if I can accept the premise behind movies about the living dead roaming the earth, I guess others can suspend their disbelief for music descending from the heavens.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 2:40pm
Not a fan of the musical but I'd love to see Jersey Boys.

Hmm, that may be on the agenda for Valentine's day!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 2:41pm
P.S. I do love Operas, though. And ballets,
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Not a fan of the musical but I'd love to see Jersey Boys.

Hmm, that may be on the agenda for Valentine's day!

I wouldn't mind seeing that, either.  I always liked The Four Seasons.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

It seems to me that women and gay men love musicals...
!!!
No sh*t, Chef!
I had a hard time even mentioning 'Sweeny Toddd', but it is SO DARK that I think it generally would scare all of them away.

Then again, there were always a few OTHER 'musicals' that were a hoot:

1.) Burton's 'Nightmare Before Halloween' (EXCELLENT)

2.) Rocky Horror Picture Show...

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 6:20pm
I dig them fine myself. I have been in some. My wife is a bigger fan, I've seen some good ones, the last one I saw was Spring Awakening. I saw Phantom in Sydney, Australia all by myself but it was a nice evening of relaxing on the town for me and I loved it.

Mainly I saw them when I was little with my family. we went to a lot of plays, ballet, and performances in general.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

!!!
No sh*t, Chef!
I had a hard time even mentioning 'Sweeny Toddd', but it is SO DARK that I think it generally would scare all of them away.
Never heard of Weenie Tot  Sweeny Toddd before.  I remember Mum dragging younger bro and I  to the Sound Of Music as kids when she & older Sis wanted to see it.Sleepy

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

!!!

No sh*t, Chef!

Then again, there were always a few OTHER 'musicals' that were a hoot:

1.) Burton's 'Nightmare Before Halloween' (EXCELLENT)

2.) Rocky Horror Picture Show...

I love that response Pa! I suppose it's rather obvious that women love musicals...
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 11:19pm
I was given tickets to a Broadway play years ago when I was in NYC on business.  It was "La Cage aux Folles" starring Van Johnson.  We went, but Johnson was ill, so there was an unknown stand-in.  Disappointing.

We went out at intermission to have a cigarette, and two "fellas" were standing next to us.  One said to the other:

"Isn't this wonderful!  It's just like us!"

We decided to skip the second half and go to Dangerfield's.

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I was given tickets to a Broadway play years ago when I was in NYC on business.  It was "La Cage aux Folles" starring Van Johnson.  We went, but Johnson was ill, so there was an unknown stand-in.  Disappointing. We went out at intermission to have a cigarette, and two "fellas" were standing next to us.  One said to the other:"Isn't this wonderful!  It's just like us!"We decided to skip the second half and go to Dangerfield's.

"No respect!".....I would've been right there with ya Hooty!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I was given tickets to a Broadway play years ago when I was in NYC on business.  It was "La Cage aux Folles" starring Van Johnson.  We went, but Johnson was ill, so there was an unknown stand-in.  Disappointing.

We went out at intermission to have a cigarette, and two "fellas" were standing next to us.  One said to the other:

"Isn't this wonderful!  It's just like us!"

We decided to skip the second half and go to Dangerfield's.

C'mon, Hooty - tell the truth...did the Hootette enjoy and discussion with them? Was she even a *little* upset when you made it known, "...why, LOOK AT THE TIME! We gotta go!"?
It's o.k. - I understand (I would've done EXACTLY the same thing!)

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 11:51pm
In the 9th grade (1969), my English class tried to convince our teacher, Miss Meschersky, to take us to see Oh Calcutta! in NYC.  She wouldn't.  We ended up seeing some cultural thing at the Garden State Arts Center instead. 

No one at that show was naked.  Unhappy

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 3:25am
Back in the 70's I dated a girl who's father, an ex-Marine drill instructor who fought in Korea, played the part of a constable or something in a local production of Fiddler On The Roof.

We went to see it & it was really good. They had a three piece chamber music group providing the instrumental accompaniment.

Her dad was a huge, big bellied guy who always shaved his head. His costume consisted of black pants, jack boots, a red tunic & a great big black fake moustache.

He looked like something right out of Czarist Russia.

It was a lot of fun & we went out to dinner (her & I, not her dad) afterward.

I also enjoyed the movie version of "On The Town".

Pirate Alyx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 11:24pm
I love musicals, whether they are the old ones on tv or the new Stage Productions. 
Guys I wonder if you would like "South Pacfic" check that one out!

I love Oklahoma, Camelot, South Pacific oh so many more, ha ha ha Rockey Horror (know all the lyrics) is an all time fav, Jesus Christ Superstar (know all the lyrics) is another fav, I would LOVE TO SEE SPAMALOT, due to being a big Monty Python fan
plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is..............
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic