Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ANNOYING CLICHES !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ANNOYING CLICHES !
    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 10:14pm
A trend ?   Any gag inducing commercial that forces over used cliches 
Some examples..: 

YOU GOT THIS !
ITS A WIN WIN ! ( or with Kraft the ENYA WIN WIN ! )
ITS A GAME CHANGER !
NO BRAINER !
NO WORRIES !

( ADD NAUSEATING CLICHE HERE ) I want to know who decided that annoying cliches HAVE to be forced down our throats and every ad agency HAS to go that route !
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 10:17pm
Think outside the box
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
drjimmy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Think outside the box

Taco Bell has "Think outside the bun"  but I will allow it for stealing another over used log-steamer
drjimmy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 10:41pm
If anyone cares,  "You got this"  ( I heard it made into a song/chant in one of the newer ads ) and "Game Changer"  are the ones that reallllllly irritate me   (almost as much as a smug millennial using  "So...."  to start every answer to anything asked of them on Shark Tank - but that complaint is for another web page ) 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 3:51am
"Not Sorry"

Absolutely can't stand that and have not touched a REESE'S in a few years now.,
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
drjimmy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 5:51am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

"Not Sorry"

Absolutely can't stand that and have not touched a REESE'S in a few years now.,

Yea that ad has been thrown at us for a few years now in different variations.  I don't blame you!

I am having a brain freeze thinking of other cliches,  probably because they re-use "You got this" and "Game Changer"  so many times,  it makes me want to kick someones a@@ on my TV.   Shoot,  I had one on my mind and it slipped........That's a lose-lose for me/us !  
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 5:09pm
Enjoy The Go

Go Commando

I can't complain but sometimes I still do.
MontanaTrav View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MontanaTrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 8:46am
Theme restaurants (Applebee's is the biggest offender but the others are starting to follow suit) calling appetizers apps.
MontanaTrav View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontanaTrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 8:59am
Not commercial related, but crime shows like CSI and law and order starting to call the victim "the vic" to and then over-using the hell out of talking about "the vic" to make it look like they're all hip to the real-world lingo.

Also, on these same crime shows, the bartenders.  You know, the infamous bartenders where the detectives go in and ask them about some random person in New York City and the bartender knows the exact time and date of the last time "the vic" was in, what they were wearing, what their girlfriend's name was, what the weather was like, what was playing on TV, what song was playing, what they were driving, what they ordered, where they work, their address and that they had a fight with one of the suspects............which this bartender ALSO knows all of the same aforementioned details about, because the suspect just happens to frequent this same bar in New York City as well!

The last time "the vic" Ermm visited this bar could have been a year ago, it could have been a decade ago, it could have been 1985.  It doesn't matter - this bartender remembers.  Steel trap.  
drjimmy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by MontanaTrav MontanaTrav wrote:

Not commercial related, but crime shows like CSI and law and order starting to call the victim "the vic" to and then over-using the hell out of talking about "the vic" to make it look like they're all hip to the real-world lingo.

Also, on these same crime shows, the bartenders.  You know, the infamous bartenders where the detectives go in and ask them about some random person in New York City and the bartender knows the exact time and date of the last time "the vic" was in, what they were wearing, what their girlfriend's name was, what the weather was like, what was playing on TV, what song was playing, what they were driving, what they ordered, where they work, their address and that they had a fight with one of the suspects............which this bartender ALSO knows all of the same aforementioned details about, because the suspect just happens to frequent this same bar in New York City as well!

The last time "the vic" Ermm visited this bar could have been a year ago, it could have been a decade ago, it could have been 1985.  It doesn't matter - this bartender remembers.  Steel trap.  

Yea - NYPD Blue was a big offender of exactly what you are saying here -  I did google one or two of them and found out they are really used,  but before we had Google, and you weren't related to a cop - would you know what the hell  "Do the fives" (paperwork)  meant ?   Or "put a rush on the bus" ( ambulance ) 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic