Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - An ad that bugged me over this past holiday season
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An ad that bugged me over this past holiday season

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An ad that bugged me over this past holiday season
    Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 3:08am
One of the obnoxious car ads this past Christmas, said something that, everytime I heard it, kind of disturbed me.

It was this Lexus "December to Remember" ad in which the voice over says "Let's be honest.... no one ever wished for a smaller holiday gift."

No? Shocked Really???? Confused Is that a fact???? ShockedShocked

Are they saying that there are no people around anymore who are uncomfortable at the thought of recieving overly lavish & expensive gifts?

I don't know about anyone else, but I am. There have been a few times when I wished someone would've gotten me something smaller & less extravagant.

I just got the impression that they were kind of subliminally telling people, young people especially, that it's normal & good to be greedy & materialistic.

Sounds like they're trying to brainwash a new generation of potential customers.

Great news guys.... With the Air Hawk, flat balls are no longer a problem!!!
Sponsored Links

Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 3:32am
I'd be happy with a literal rock. Or a moth cocoon.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 3:41am
I've only seen this one over the past few days.  Disgusting. 

If I could get friends and relatives to go along, I'd rather just dispense with the whole Christmas gift thing altogether.  It always seems to be about getting things I have no use for, and giving things that no one really needs.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 4:06am
Lexus is all about greed, materialism & snob appeal.

I always (as an adult, anyway) wished that Christmas with my family had been more about just getting together for the day & not about opening presents.

That always made me a bit uncomfortable.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 4:35am
"Did I spend as much money on them as they did on me?" is what goes through my mind in the days leading up to the holiday.  I hate that.

If everyone would just stop with all the gifts (or give them only to the kids), I'd like Christmas a lot more.

ambrosia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:47pm
I've wished for a smaller present, and genuinely meant it. How many people have said "awww you shouldn't have!" when receiving something they really thought the person spent too much on or whatever! I hated this commercial too.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 4:54pm
I proclaimed to Beloved our New Year's Resolution: NO MORE GIFTS. We truly have plenty of everything. More than enough, in fact. If he wants to give me a gift - make a donation to the Humane Society or some such organization. Buy some groceries for the Food Pantry. I want to simplify my life.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I want to simplify my life.

It truly is the key to happiness!!! Clap

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 9:06pm
They've been hammering these god forsaken commercials here for weeks. I really despise this one. The (not so)poor little girl just wants a tree but ole Dad wants to be the envy of his neighbors.
He probably took pictures so lil Suzy can show off at school during show & tell. But then, she probably goes to a private school.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 12:59am
"Let's be honest"...aren't these people too old to be "wishing for" particular Christmas gifts of any size, let alone bigger ones?  It makes it all sound so magical and childish, and after the age of 12 or so---sorry, you're too old for magic.

Besides, if my wife decided to bestow a new car on me, I'd have wished she consulted me on it first.  It's not like it's a freebie for me.  If I'm going to be driving it and paying for it, I'd want a say in it.

LilRebelChick View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 5:51am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

One of the obnoxious car ads this past Christmas, said something that, everytime I heard it, kind of disturbed me.

It was this Lexus "December to Remember" ad in which the voice over says "Let's be honest.... no one ever wished for a smaller holiday gift."

No? Shocked Really???? Confused Is that a fact???? ShockedShocked

Are they saying that there are no people around anymore who are uncomfortable at the thought of recieving overly lavish & expensive gifts?

I don't know about anyone else, but I am. There have been a few times when I wished someone would've gotten me something smaller & less extravagant.

I just got the impression that they were kind of subliminally telling people, young people especially, that it's normal & good to be greedy & materialistic.

Sounds like they're trying to brainwash a new generation of potential customers.

So true. Ridiculous commercial. I'd love a new car but I'm quite happy with small, personal gifts too.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

They've been hammering these god forsaken commercials here for weeks. I really despise this one. The (not so)poor little girl just wants a tree but ole Dad wants to be the envy of his neighbors.
He probably took pictures so lil Suzy can show off at school during show & tell. But then, she probably goes to a private school.

OmaGAWD!!!!!! ShockedUnhappyConfusedDead

That was fuggin AWFUL!!!!!!!!

YUCK!!!!!!

I've never seen that one before, Tiz.... 

I just wwonder why a little gold digger like her would settle for a crappy-ass Lexus instead of a Benz.

70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 3:36pm
I HATE the big Xmas stockings they try to stuff the cars in. Tacky!
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 6:20pm
These ads get the Mute Button treatment in my house. The one that really bothered me was the one where the man wakes up on Christmas morning to find a car inside a big-ass stocking in his living room! My question is this - how in the world did they get it in there and how did they get it out? Because you later see him driving said car down a desolate road (like they really have those) with no problems.

These ads only appeal to rich, uppity snobs who think a $50,000 status symbol is the key to happiness.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

The one that really bothered me was the one where the man wakes up on Christmas morning to find a car inside a big-ass stocking in his living room! My question is this - how in the world did they get it in there and how did they get it out?

I never thought much about how they got it in there, but I always just figured he smashed thru the wall to get it out.

LilRebelChick View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

The one that really bothered me was the one where the man wakes up on Christmas morning to find a car inside a big-ass stocking in his living room! My question is this - how in the world did they get it in there and how did they get it out?

I never thought much about how they got it in there, but I always just figured he smashed thru the wall to get it out.

I thought about that too. And the way the buy pulls out of the driveway and knocks over the garbage cans. Ridiculous. Angry
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:23pm
The payment books were hung on the chimney with care.
In hope that the money soon would be there.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

The payment books were hung on the chimney with care.
In hope that the money soon would be there.

LOL

Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 1:59am

Anybody with common sense WOULD wish for something smaller, especially those of us who know how expensive non-luxury items are.

But what does Golddigger Mommy do now? Mercedes Benz needs to get on the ball. They should make a commercial featuring a Dumb Daddy (tm) that surprises Luxury Mommy with a Lexus, and she wishes for something bigger and better. LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 2:33am
Originally posted by LilRebelChick LilRebelChick wrote:

And the way the buy pulls out of the driveway and knocks over the garbage cans. Ridiculous. Angry

I think he even knocks over a Rudolph statue as he pulls out.  That says something (though I don't know what).

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 3:24am
Who the heck gives a car for Christmas!!!! and who pays the insurance etc?? We draw names in my family and we're really big on 'yankee swaps"
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 3:39am
What I especially hate about these commercials, is the implication that if you can't afford it, or choose NOT to, you're deprived somehow.

A few months ago, I was at the gas station, filling up my 19-year-old Mazda in which my mother had gotten into an accident. She's fine, the car still runs great, but it was smushed like a tin can. A guy in some Escalade or whatever laughed, and asked if I like driving it.

Proudly, I informed him that it gets me to work every day, rarely has a problem, and is worry-free. On top of all that, NO PAYMENTS!! Perfect car for the crowded city. Granted, it leaked like crazy and the trunk was moldy....and the inside was just depressingly gray with a broken radio panel and taped-up steering wheel.....still, zippy and a blast to drive.

We now have an older Infiniti that we bought through the family. But I was pretty happy with the '96 Dodge Lancer back in the day (just one of seven cars I've owned, all on their last legs) and my husband still loves his pickup truck. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic