Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Place For Mom - Go Away Joan!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Place For Mom - Go Away Joan!!
    Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 11:13pm

PLEASE!!!! JOAN, GO AWAY!!!!
I never really cared much for her arrogant "know-it-all" yuppie attitude, but schilling for a service to stash "mom" somewhere until she dies is the lowest!  This is especially true when you consider that Joan is 67 years old and therefore should be living in one of these geriatric death camps herself.
It might be different if they weren't on all the time, but it's impossible to avoid them!!

Children are just God's little way of punishing us for having sex
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 12:52am
Originally posted by CaptainErnie CaptainErnie wrote:

PLEASE!!!! JOAN, GO AWAY!!!!

I never really cared much for her arrogant "know-it-all" yuppie attitude, but schilling for a service to stash "mom" somewhere until she dies is the lowest!  This is especially true when you consider that Joan is 67 years old and therefore should be living in one of these geriatric death camps herself.

It might be different if they weren't on all the time, but it's impossible to avoid them!!

Captain Ernie - I got your video to work in the quote, by cleaning all the unnecessary junk out of your post.

Some of the code got in between your YouTube tags, but that's the kind of thing that happens when you fill your posts up with all that stuff.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 8:14pm
This commercial is far more important than most people may ever come to believe...until THEY become 'Mom'.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:06pm
Sounds like just another company trying to capitalize on the infirmity of aging people.

There are plenty of ways to find and research nursing facilities using local free referral services who know better than some national company.

APFM has mostly negative reviews.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Sounds like just another company trying to capitalize on the infirmity of aging people.

There are plenty of ways to find and research nursing facilities using local free referral services who know better than some national company.

APFM has mostly negative reviews.

I can't take that statement lightly, my friend - worthy examples, please.
My brother (a legal & psych professional) and myself handle all of this for my folks (I take care of both of them these days). The decisions one makes here are SO CRITICAL. We have friends and 'hired guns' all over and this whole process remains almost too much and is financially draining.
We all have challenges in our lives so even just hearing these folks out and THEN doing proper research wouldn't be so bad? But that is for Mom.
My father is being tossed from his 3rd facility because of the level of care he requires and coming home is no longer an option.
Over the last few years I've lost my sister and then my wife, and now the pain is being masked by caring for both parents during their sunset...in the last 5 years I think I've aged 20 years.
Oh yea, this whole mess has convinced me Ernest Hemingway was always right with his final decision - at least his family was left with something. Just my father alone has almost broke the bank, even with all the insurance - but that is a cross my brother and myself will bear. I may even have to ditch The Den to ensure everyone goes out in comfort (short me - I'm pretty certain when my time comes, I'll go quick because there is no place called 'A Place for Dad' that doesn't include a bath without cement shoes, so I'll have to go hide in the Algonquin Forest or atop some Hindu temple in India where buzzards can sh*t my eyes out after snacking on them...maybe I'll make someone a good cup of coffee...but I WON'T go to Aokigahara - THAT place creeps me out to no end...).
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 4:51am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Oh yea, this whole mess has convinced me Ernest Hemingway was always right with his final decision - at least his family was left with something. Just my father alone has almost broke the bank, even with all the insurance - but that is a cross my brother and myself will bear.
I may even have to ditch The Den to ensure everyone goes out in comfort

Well, I/we went through the same "private pay" nursing home thing with my mom last year to the tune of $8,000.00 per month. Plus her pharmacy bill on too of that.

If she had spent her liquid assets down to $2,000.00, she would have been eligible for Medicaid with no requirement to sell her house. She would've had to sign over her social security check and my dad's military survivor benefits to the gub'mint, but neither I nor my sister would have been on the hook for anything and her house would've passed on to us.

That is the law in all 50 states.

Also, just because a nursing home resident is on Medicaid does not mean they won't get good care or be comfortable in a nursing facility. You can find clean, decent and reasonably staffed facilities that accept Medicaid residents and which will provide adequate care.

The most important thing when it comes to ensuring that your parents get good care in a nursing home, is to visit them a lot. The more, the better. If you can be there with them every day, they'll get good care, Medicaid or not.

Best of luck with your folks.

C'mon, man!
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 5:52am
It's sad to see Joan Lunden promoting nursing homes for a living. She's fallen since the GMA days, with Charles Gibson. And those were the days when GMA wasn't a celebrity newsfest! Yeah, they had interviews with celebrities and news personalities, but they didn't involve Kardashians, stupid dancing or other gimmicks. You know...kind of like the current CBS This Morning.
William Shatner is also the spokesperson for the Inogen One oxygen tank. I would be embarrassed to do something like that, even if I was 87 (holy crap, he's that old now?!)
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 9:00am
Within less than a month this year, my old friend Neil went from being in seemingly great health to being dead of colon cancer that had metastasized quickly.  Maybe that's the way to go (except for the relatively young age).  He was in and out of the hospital for several weeks before being told he was too far gone and coming home for about 8 hours of hospice care.  That was it.  Gone now.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 11:11am

Oh yea, this whole mess has convinced me Ernest Hemingway was always right with his final decision - at least his family was left with something. Just my father alone has almost broke the bank, even with all the insurance - but that is a cross my brother and myself will bear.
I may even have to ditch The Den to ensure everyone goes out in comfort

Well, I/we went through the same "private pay" nursing home thing with my mom last year to the tune of $8,000.00 per month. Plus her pharmacy bill on too of that.

If she had spent her liquid assets down to $2,000.00, she would have been eligible for Medicaid with no requirement to sell her house. She would've had to sign over her social security check and my dad's military survivor benefits to the gub'mint, but neither I nor my sister would have been on the hook for anything and her house would've passed on to us.

That is the law in all 50 states.

Also, just because a nursing home resident is on Medicaid does not mean they won't get good care or be comfortable in a nursing facility. You can find clean, decent and reasonably staffed facilities that accept Medicaid residents and which will provide adequate care.

The most important thing when it comes to ensuring that your parents get good care in a nursing home, is to visit them a lot. The more, the better. If you can be there with them every day, they'll get good care, Medicaid or not.

Best of luck with your folks.

I visit daily, bringing a chocolate shake (he is now on liquid diet, unlike the one I was on for so long).
It does lead to some 'fun times'.
"Good Care"? Horsesh*t, Wilbur - I'm nice as long as I can be. Aside from drunken doctors and some decent nurses, I'm pretty sure most care provided aside from the nursing staffs are graduates of cell block 'D'. When places claim to be able to handle memory-related degeneration only to back away as progression occurs, I go after those 'body-dumpers'.
These places take responsibility for NOTHING - they've lost 2 pairs of glasses and 2 sets of hearing aids my father had - lose access to your sensory facilities and your name may as well be 'Tommy' sans a pinball machine.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 1:05pm

I visit daily, bringing a chocolate shake (he is now on liquid diet, unlike the one I was on for so long).
"Good Care"? Horsesh*t, Wilbur - I'm nice as long as I can be. Aside from drunken doctors and some decent nurses, I'm pretty sure most care provided aside from the nursing staffs are graduates of cell block 'D'. When places claim to be able to handle memory-related degeneration only to back away as progression occurs, I go after those 'body-dumpers'.
These places take responsibility for NOTHING - they've lost 2 pairs of glasses and 2 sets of hearing aids my father had - lose access to your sensory facilities and your name may as well be 'Tommy' sans a pinball machine.

If the place sucks as bad as you say it does, why don't you move him to a better one?

No nursing home is perfect, but there are plenty out there that are decent. The one my mom was in wasn't the Waldorf Astoria or on par with the kind of care Ron and Nancy Reagan probably got, but you have to have realistic expectations.

Anyway, my point was that you don't have to sell any property you might own to continue paying nursing home bills. Once your parents' assets, excluding any primary residence they might own, are depleted down to $2,000, they become eligible for Medicaid.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 3:54pm

If the place sucks as bad as you say it does, why don't you move him to a better one?

No nursing home is perfect, but there are plenty out there that are decent. The one my mom was in wasn't the Waldorf Astoria or on par with the kind of care Ron and Nancy Reagan probably got, but you have to have realistic expectations.

Anyway, my point was that you don't have to sell any property you might own to continue paying nursing home bills. Once your parents' assets, excluding any primary residence they might own, are depleted down to $2,000, they become eligible for Medicaid.
I understand the Medicaid piece only too wellDisapprove.
Did I mention in 3 weeks he will be moving to his 4th residence? It is BIG BUSINESS around here and one must really scrutinize the parent company, along with the establishment.
This move alone will cost $8,000 and is from the 'top-of-the-line' facility...so, well...I think it may cost the head administrator his job,
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 4:04pm

Did I mention in 3 weeks he will be moving to his 4th residence? It is BIG BUSINESS around here and one must really scrutinize the parent company, along with the establishment.
This move alone will cost $8,000. 

Were you also aware that if your mom is still living at home, she can have up to $80,000 in the bank and your dad can still get Medicaid?

Have you consulted an elder affairs attorney?

There are various asset protection trusts they can set up so that you can get them on Medicaid without having to spend them broke.

There is even a special "caregiver's trust" for those in your situation.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 4:23pm

This move alone will cost $8,000. 

Were you also aware that if your mom is still living at home, she can have up to $80,000 in the bank and your dad can still get Medicaid?

Have you consulted an elder affairs attorney?

There are various asset protection trusts they can set up so that you can get them on Medicaid without having to spend them broke.

There is even a special "caregiver's trust" for those in your situation.
Very aware of 'flavors' of what you suggest above and we have attorneys, tax folks, you name it...Medicaid issues arise from Military pensions in my father's name and more. In other words, Medicaid will do anything to wiggle away if they can.
Thanks for the thoughts - I have tossed them right to my not-so-slow Bro.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic